Votes: 5 71.4%
  • 3-5

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 7-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Fellow piloteers! 馃挄Recently purchased a 2016 pilot.. its a beauty. It鈥檚 my 3rd pilot I鈥檝e owned. After driving it a bit - I鈥檝e noticed that it hesitates upon acceleration and sputters. As I press on gas it doesn鈥檛 want to go.. I called the dealership and they are going to take a look at it and fix it- they say it鈥檚 under warranty. Just wondering if any one else has experienced this- if so, what is it?

Registered
Hello, Fellow piloteers! 馃挄Recently purchased a 2016 pilot.. its a beauty. It鈥檚 my 3rd pilot I鈥檝e owned. After driving it a bit - I鈥檝e noticed that it hesitates upon acceleration and sputters. As I press on gas it doesn鈥檛 want to go.. I called the dealership and they are going to take a look at it and fix it- they say it鈥檚 under warranty. Just wondering if any one else has experienced this- if so, what is it?
Hello! It could be a lazy transition out of VCM (variable cylinder management which shuts down cylinders), a badly adjusted brake switch or improper gas mapping... in the order of ease to fix, but the dealer probably will never acknowledge VCM as the problem (their code word for it is plug fouling)

Please let us know what the dealer tells you the problem was. It's a very dangerous situation, especially when merging into fast moving traffic, so it's best to let the dealer come up with the reason and the fix.

Just some basic questions. Do you drive with both feet? How many miles on the odometer? Do you use off brand bargain gas? What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Do you still have the problem with VSA switched off?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My pilot has 85k, I do not use bargain gas. My gas mileage is about 22-23mpg.. I use one foot for gas and/or brake. I will definitely let you know what dealer says. Someone told me it could be the throttle position sensor. I hope and pray it has nothing to do with transmission! Ohh my!

Registered
My pilot has 85k, I do not use bargain gas. My gas mileage is about 22-23mpg.. I use one foot for gas and/or brake. I will definitely let you know what dealer says. Someone told me it could be the throttle position sensor. I hope and pray it has nothing to do with transmission! Ohh my!
Do you have a 6-speed transmission or a 9?

Registered
A faulty TPS can cause the symptoms you're seeing so hopefully it's not the transmission although 85k miles on a 4 year old car could be a rental.

If it is the TPS, normally your gas mileage would suffer and a CEL would come on. I'd get it fixed as soon as possible. You might want to consider getting it flatbedded to the dealership. Continued driving in that condition could damage the transmission and the motor mounts in addition to the safety issues. After you get it back from the dealer I'd suggest getting a VCM disabler for it and changing the transmission fluid. Any service records on the car?

Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
You don't have it in ECON mode do you? That will cause more of a lag in acceleration. If it is, it will show a green leaf on the display and all you need to do is press the ECON button to cycle back to normal mode. I don't use it for the same reasons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts