Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
Just wanted to say thank you to all the members in this forum to help me make an educated purchase . Finally took the ownership of the SE pilot ! Very very happy so far. But I do have a question:
Now , I don’t know if it’s due to the size of the car or the 9 speed transmission or there is something wrong with it , but anybody has experienced on their 3rd gen pilot 9 speed , when you try to make a 3 point turn or quick reverse parking , there is a pause / hesitation when I press on the gas as soon as you switch from reverse to drive . I will say about half a second . I did not have that experience on my rav4 or my old mdx. It’s a little concerning especially when you have traffic waiting behind you .
thanks for Reading !

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
Hello everyone
Just wanted to say thank you to all the members in this forum to help me make an educated purchase . Finally took the ownership of the SE pilot ! Very very happy so far. But I do have a question:
Now , I don’t know if it’s due to the size of the car or the 9 speed transmission or there is something wrong with it , but anybody has experienced on their 3rd gen pilot 9 speed , when you try to make a 3 point turn or quick reverse parking , there is a pause / hesitation when I press on the gas as soon as you switch from reverse to drive . I will say about half a second . I did not have that experience on my rav4 or my old mdx. It’s a little concerning especially when you have traffic waiting behind you .
thanks for Reading !
Patience grasshopper, patience is the key.

The ZF 9 uses dog clutches. Dog Clutch - Construction and Working - Mechanical Walkins

Also you have a drive by wire transmission now instead of a direct link transmission, it has a slight hesitation when changing from R to D.

As for traffic, why would you shift out of D when in traffic. Finally make sure you are not in Eco mode. Eco mode retards acceleration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patience grasshopper, patience is the key.

The ZF 9 uses dog clutches. Dog Clutch - Construction and Working - Mechanical Walkins

Also you have a drive by wire transmission now instead of a direct link transmission, it has a slight hesitation when changing from R to D.

As for traffic, why would you shift out of D when in traffic. Finally make sure you are not in Eco mode. Eco mode retards acceleration.
thank you for your reply
Sorry, by traffic I meant cars waiting behind me to finish my 3 point turn or to parallel park.
One more thing I notice , when on the highway , sometimes I accelerate , then I let go off the gas so I can cruise and I notice the vehicle will slow down for no apparent reason (cruise controls is off ) , happened twice already , feels like the car is applying the breaks for me . (I don’t think it’s the vehicle coalition system since there is no warning signs and I was VERY far from any vehicles in from of me )
Is this behavior part of the “drive by wire “ transmission ?

·
Administrator
4,872 Posts
thank you for your reply
Sorry, by traffic I meant cars waiting behind me to finish my 3 point turn or to parallel park.
One more thing I notice , when on the highway , sometimes I accelerate , then I let go off the gas so I can cruise and I notice the vehicle will slow down for no apparent reason (cruise controls is off ) , happened twice already , feels like the car is applying the breaks for me . (I don’t think it’s the vehicle coalition system since there is no warning signs and I was VERY far from any vehicles in from of me )
Is this behavior part of the “drive by wire “ transmission ?
2WD or AWD? If it's AWD keep in mind you have 2 transaxles instead of one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2WD or AWD? If it's AWD keep in mind you have 2 transaxles instead of one.
Sorry but I’m not sure what you mean by 2 transaxles, I had a 2013 rav4 before this , does it means the Toyota had only one ? And how is 2 transaxles connected to the slow down ? (Trying to learn here , sorry if It’s a dumb question , the pilot is AWD by the way )

·
Administrator
4,872 Posts
Transaxles are the drive axels. A 2WD has a single transaxle either FWD or RWD, where AWD has front and rear transaxles. Drive wheels are not as free rolling as non powered wheels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Transmission fluid replacement. Drain and flush with Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife ATF fluid. My Pilot did the same to me when I first got it.

·
Administrator
4,872 Posts
Transmission fluid replacement. Drain and flush with Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife ATF fluid. My Pilot did the same to me when I first got it.
Does yours have the 6 speed or the 9 speed transmission?

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
24 Posts
My '21 9 speed also has a slight delay going from R to D. It feels normal to me. I've had other cars with a ~1.5 second delay like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts