Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 pilot with 134000 miles. It is sometimes hard to start, but when that happens, the engine shakes and it acts like it wants to die. Often, if I turn the car off, then back on, the problem would fix itself. There have been other times when I try to accelerate, it didn't want to go. I'm getting a random misfire code and also the 499 evap code. The problem occurs completely randomly. Coils changed, purge valve changed, oil changed. It's been in the dealership that I bought it from for 10 days now. They did send a head out to be machines, but the problem is still there and they are at a loss. Thoughts?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,943 Posts
Faulty fuel pump?
Original spark plugs?
Clogged air filter and/or air intake?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Hopefully the dealer is fixing this on their dime. Otherwise it sounds like they are taking the dart board diagnostic approach.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roadman might be on to something with the fuel pump comment.

Thank you for the advice. Please forgive me as I don't know much, so I like to ask questions. If it is the fuel pump, would it cause the car start normally at times, then when the evap code comes back, (after it has been cleared) instantly start running horribly? ( Just got this bit of information)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Not sure about the codes, but a intermittent/weak fuel pump can cause hard start or no start. Low fuel pressure due to failing pump would cause fuel starvation and poor running engine and lack of power. It's one possibility, the dealer can verify by measuring fuel pressure. A fuel pump that is on the edge can work ok and then not. Hard starting with long cranking required is typical of a failing fuel pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you
Not sure about the codes, but a intermittent/weak fuel pump can cause hard start or no start. Low fuel pressure due to failing pump would cause fuel starvation and poor running engine and lack of power. It's one possibility, the dealer can verify by measuring fuel pressure. A fuel pump that is on the edge can work ok and then not. Hard starting with long cranking required is typical of a failing fuel pump.
Thank you. I will suggest this tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Yup, STMech knows his stuff. Hopefully that is the cause of the problem. Either way I’m glad the dealer is on the hook for the cost of the repair. Just keep their diagnostic practices in mind when if you decide to use them for an out of pocket repair . . . you might end up with five new parts you didn’t need.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
MAP can cause hard starts too, as well as a faulty fuel pressure regulator and coils.
Random misfires can be also caused by carbon buildup in the EGR tunnels of the intake top plate.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
FSM page 11-375 lists the correct pressure of 55-63 psi. Yours is on the low side and could explain the hard start and rough idle.
There can be two reasons: fuel pump failing or fuel pressure regulator. The pump is not known to be a notorious source of failures, while the regulator is.
Also on p. 11-386 it suggests that if the pump and regulator check Okay, then the fuel filter has to be replaced if pressure is low.

·
Registered
826 Posts
FSM page 11-375 lists the correct pressure of 55-63 psi. Yours is on the low side and could explain the hard start and rough idle.
There can be two reasons: fuel pump failing or fuel pressure regulator. The pump is not known to be a notorious source of failures, while the regulator is.
Also on p. 11-386 it suggests that if the pump and regulator check Okay, then the fuel filter has to be replaced if pressure is low.
Fuel pressure regulator failure symptoms are hard starting (flooding), and then when it does start, black smoke and rough idle. The diaphragm in the regulator can rupture, which allows raw gas to pool in the intake manifold. Your mechanic should be able to spot this, if it's the problem.
Regarding the fuel filter, I think it's just a sock filter on the pump. If you're going to change that out, then do the pump too. They're both inside the gas tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts