Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently heard a mild ticking at start up from my pilot. when you rev it mildly, the ticking increased. I used a stethoscope and traced the noise to the front head or timing belt cover area .I decided to take it to the dealer ,thinking they see these cars alot and probably know whats wrong with it. They said it sounds like the rocker arm bridge bolts issue, but they would need to remove the intake and the valve covers to inspect. they also said one of the techs had see more then a few that tightening the bridge bolts did not make the noise go away and they camshaft had wear. i said to go ahead and open it and see, hoping for the best. They called the next day and said there was camshaft wear and the camshaft would need replaced on the front head.
Although Im at 85k miles, and honda care ended last year, i wanted to reach out to honda and see if they would help out given the known rocker arm bridge bolt bulletin. I ve owned hondas for years and have never seen anything like this. its been a month and ive called them several times to check on my case number and they say they are behind and overwhelmed. I Decided to email Jeff conrad at honda (sr vice president) And i did not get a reply thus far.
I have meticulously maintained this vehicle And if they arent willing to chip in ( regardless of the milage ) I think ill be buying toyotas from here on out
Has anyone heard of this issue , or have any thoughts on how to get them to help out?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Had the same issue. It was the bridge bolt. I actually diagnosed it by seeing a TSB. I didn’t take it to the dealer but as soon as I told them about the TSB they re torqued it and it was fine.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I constantly read how the mfgr should be warranting things forever. So question, at what point is the veh the owners responsibility, miles and years?
Assuming the vehicle was always serviced at the recommended intervals using the recommended oil, how long should a camshaft last? 85K miles, or longer?
Could the bridge bolt issue have been prevented by periodic maintenance by the owner, or is there some sort of design or manufacturing defect for which the manufacturer should bear some, if not all, of the cost to rectify?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
For better or worse, the buyer agrees that the warranty they get with the car is sufficient. While it would be nice if warrantees lasted forever, it would drive the prices of the vehicles through the roof. You can always buy an extended warranty with the car, or even take that scammer phone call that offers an extended warranty or buy the one that I see promoted on TV ads all the time. Meanwhile, as much as we like to think that Honda should have discovered this problem earlier, in fact they did and it sounds like there's a TSB covering it.

If you've been having the car serviced religiously at your Honda dealer, you might have a case with them for not applying a TSB. It's certainly worth asking. For those of us that do all our own maintenance, it's a wake-up call to go find all the TSB's and decide which might apply to our own cars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think when a manufacturer has wide spread issues and they acknowledge an issue with a tsb due to engineering issues, they should be accountable to repair it.
I paid good money to have a quality car. and when i come on here and read about people having to buy muzzlers to fix a vcm issue so the engine dont go bad, so a manufacturer can get better epa ratings( and they still dont fix the issue... )YES they should be accountable to fix it
People need to remember that without customers, these companies would not exist

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assuming the vehicle was always serviced at the recommended intervals using the recommended oil, how long should a camshaft last? 85K miles, or longer?
Could the bridge bolt issue have been prevented by periodic maintenance by the owner, or is there some sort of design or manufacturing defect for which the manufacturer should bear some, if not all, of the cost to rectify?
the bridge bolts come loose due to improper design..theres a tsb on it...and they cover it for 8 years and walk away from it
its not right... if they knew they had an issue, the should have contacted affected vehicle owners..and repaired rather than fix on fail approach

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For better or worse, the buyer agrees that the warranty they get with the car is sufficient. While it would be nice if warrantees lasted forever, it would drive the prices of the vehicles through the roof. You can always buy an extended warranty with the car, or even take that scammer phone call that offers an extended warranty or buy the one that I see promoted on TV ads all the time. Meanwhile, as much as we like to think that Honda should have discovered this problem earlier, in fact they did and it sounds like there's a TSB covering it.

If you've been having the car serviced religiously at your Honda dealer, you might have a case with them for not applying a TSB. It's certainly worth asking. For those of us that do all our own maintenance, it's a wake-up call to go find all the TSB's and decide which might apply to our own cars.
The buyer agrees to everything based on the research of the manufacturer and the history of them having good engineers and design team, its also understood that if there are wide spread issues, they will make it right.
These companies make record profits year after year and they can take some of that cash and design a better product, or at least help you out when something isnt right, even years later
I do over the top maintenance on this myself, i keep up on tsbs and i usually find things before theres an big issue. I take it to the dealer if theres something big, mainly to diagnose. I did pay for 8 year / 120K mile warranty
but i didnt drive it that much, and i feel as if I got penalized, because if i did drive it, it would have showed up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still doesn't answer the question, at what point is the owner of the veh responsible for said veh?
Im ok with the factory warranty...and even some honda care extended warrantys , if you know where to get them at a good price. Beyond that, if a manufacturer has a wide spread issue due to an engineering issue, i dont think they should be able to deny doing the repair. As for exactly how long are they liable, I feel like you would be better asking what is the meaning of life ;-p

·
Registered
821 Posts
Apparently the tsb wasn't read or understood. Loose bridge bolts DO NOT CAUSE CAMAHAFT WEAR. The bridge bolt tsb was due to the rocker shafts rotation and tapping against the bridge bolts. The bridge doesn't hold the camshaft in anyway, rocker clearance isn't effected unless the bolts are loose. This tsb is due to not achieving the proper squish of the rocker bridge to lock the shafts from rocking in their bores, the bolts aren't physically loose (as in finger tight).

·
Registered
821 Posts
There are quite a few things, generally it's a harding process issue, oil quality/quantity issue, poor or incorrect oil filter, and valve/rocker clearance issue are the main suspects.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts