Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sears "X-Cargo" hard shell luggage carrier I've used for years, formerly on our mini-van. A while back, I noticed the Pilot's roof rack does not have the type of channel that I used to hook the hold-down straps to.

I stopped by Sears today, just to check out the design of the hold-down straps available. The Sears guy said, "yeah, we haven't had luck with the Hondas, incl. CR-V's, etc." Sure enough, though their application manual only went to 2002's, the Hondas mostly said "No Fit."

I'm heading to get my daughter at college in a couple of days, and so I'm in a mild panic! I'll have to pull the carrier out tonight and take a look, but has anyone successfully attached a carrier to the roof rack? Any tips would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have but I did it with a Thule Excursion. I might be able to help you though. Click on the link in my signature line for the Thule Excursion Roof Box and you will see how the Thule carrier attaches to factory crossbars.

You could rig something identical to the Thule method or just buy the Thule attachment parts at a local store. You'd only have to drill eight small bolt holes in your current carrier for it to work.

The Thule mounting method works very well. My box is rock solid when everything is tightened down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, ChuckW -- that does look like a rock-solid attachment.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I just saw your carrier at the Sears Auto Center. I'll bet they have the mounting hardware there, separately. I'll have to check it out.

If I can't find the hardware there, I'll be doing a mad search over the next couple of days!

[Still open to other thoughts/comments, too.]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sears X-Cargo Carrier

I just purchased a 2004 Pilot w/Cross Bars. I also have the Sears X-Cargo carrier where I use U bolts to fasten it to the cross bars. Did you have a problem with the cross bars not being the correct size width? It seems like it should just bolt right on. If you had problems, can you please share your solution with us? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The sears x cargo have u bolts and the star nuts that I install to fasten it to my caravan. But I have to adjust the cross bars to
so that I can mount the u bolts to tha cross bars and into the holes of the x cargo. My question is can I also adjust the crossbars of the pilot, like move it across the railings so I could mount the x cargo. I installed the pilot crossbars myself and they have the bolts to lock it to the railings. Thank You.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts