Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, we had a small accident with our 08 pilot. I changed the strut and put everything back together but the wheel is hitting the back side of the drivers fender when you make a left hand turn. I can see it's back a little.

I yard drove it hoping it was just something bound up like the anti-sway bar.. nope ... any thoughts from the group ? I hate to admit this but a rarely ever had to work on it. Kinda goes to show how well made they are.

I cannot see the lower control arm being bent as its cast .. could it be the steering arm? The steering wheel is straight. How is the alignment adjusted on the front? Nothing looked stressed or bent when I had it apart. It's back about an 1" +

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I'd bite the bullet and at least take to a trusted alignment shop. They should be able to ascertain if something is bent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I just dont want to pay someone to change out the lower control arm. I know I can do myself. I think they wanted 350 to do it. I can do it for less than 100... i will get an alignment my concern is once i get it on the rack I dont want to pay them something I can do..

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you don't want to have a shop put it on a hoist and thoroughly check it out, then you will have to just guess and start throwing new parts at it. That's fine, and you might save $ that way. Don't expect the forum here to be able to diagnose the problem. Online ESP just don't work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that, I'm just trying to understand if it's just bent or out of adjustment. Where are the alignment points? Is there an alignment adjustment that would bring the tire closer so I could drive it to the alignment shop?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yes you can get a scrap yard control arm for about $30-40, press out the ball joints and if necessary the bushings, and replace. Or you can just buy a new control arm. But before you start firing the parts cannon, you should have the alignment checked. At least that way you would know what happened. It can be a number of things and the worst of them is subframe or body damage which you cannot compensate for by replacing the LCA.

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
There is usually at least an inch plus of clearance between the tire and bodywork/suspension components even at full lock. That its hitting gives you an idea how badly out of alignment it is.

Whats going on with the hood? Was it open? Or did that gap appear post accident? The fender to door gap looks very close at the bottom, but that might just be an optical illusion. I'm concerned that the chassis and or subframe is bent out of alignment. The wheel definitely looks off center in the fender. You can easily measure how badly out it its with a tape measure.

For now, I would say that this car is not safe to drive on the road.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Where are the alignment points? Is there an alignment adjustment that would bring the tire closer so I could drive it to the alignment shop?
If it is a short drive, you should be fine. Even if it is chewing tires, it won't damage the tires too much in under 10 miles. Otherwise just tow it.
Download the FSM which has all the answers regarding alignment. There is a diagram for measurements to be taken when restoring after collision, but you need a hoist. This sort of damage is not a quick DIY. You likely have subframe damage. Best case scenario you have a bent subframe bolt and maybe a damaged bushing. But it can be worse than that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure I got it, here's a pic of the control arms laying on top of each other. Yes the hood was up and yes when we bent the fender back into shape it moved a little tight to the door. That will be adjusted and we are on the watch for a silver 2006 to 08 fender to replace it.

It drove straight and the steering wheel was centered. We have an appt for an alignment and rebalance on that wheel this weekend...

Thanks all for the helpful input.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Holy shit!
Now I believe that the Pilot LCAs are sacrificial as some claimed.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,043 Posts
Those LCA’s are definitely no longer symmetrical. Hopefully that is the only component which got bent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts