Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody please post a picture of the wipers in different angles to make sure I can tell the correct positioning (height and distance from each other) and correct placement (left vs right wipers)?

I just had my windshield replaced last week and I noticed some wind noise at 60mph. The left wiper was also touching the bottom plastic, which causes an annoying sound everytime it goes down and up. I see that its the springs rubbing against the plastic the runs across the bottom of the windshield.

If anybody has the wiper arm installation instructions, that would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Aija said:

I just had my windshield replaced last week and I noticed some wind noise at 60mph. Thanks.
just curious...how come you replaced the wipers in 3 months:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced my windshield, not my wipers. The installer had to remove the wiper arms in order to remove and install the new windshield.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Aija said:
Can somebody please post a picture of the wipers in different angles to make sure I can tell the correct positioning (height and distance from each other) and correct placement (left vs right wipers)?

I just had my windshield replaced last week and I noticed some wind noise at 60mph. The left wiper was also touching the bottom plastic, which causes an annoying sound everytime it goes down and up. I see that its the springs rubbing against the plastic the runs across the bottom of the windshield.

Thanks.
Aija

Take the car back to the people that installed the windshield - They installed the wipers incorrectly.

The wipers are on a toothed spline and were installed one or more teeth off.

Your left wiper should be perfectly horizontal and the right wiper should be one tooth above horizontal when the blades are in the parked position.

See photo attached below: Wiper viewed from left side of vehicle

JJ

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Right wiper blade

Photo of right wiper blade. Complete with water spots on the windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wiper Installation?

RaleighPilot,

Thanks for the pics and the info. If you don't mind me asking, how can I tell if the wipers are on the side? I assume the Passenger side (Right) wiper arm is different from the Driver side (left) wiper arm. I couldn't tell from the pics which wiper arm should go to the left or right.

I will call the company who installed my windshield and make sure they do it right. I'll show them the pictures you sent.

Thanks a lot.

JC

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: Wiper Installation?

Aija said:
RaleighPilot,

Thanks for the pics and the info. If you don't mind me asking, how can I tell if the wipers are on the side? I assume the Passenger side (Right) wiper arm is different from the Driver side (left) wiper arm. I couldn't tell from the pics which wiper arm should go to the left or right.

I will call the company who installed my windshield and make sure they do it right. I'll show them the pictures you sent.

Thanks a lot.

JC
WOW!! Great Question - I never thought they might have swapped the blades.

The wiper blade on the left should be 23 1/2 inches long
The blade on the right should be 21 inches (as measured with my tape measure).

You won't have to worry about the arms - they wouldn't have taken the blades off the arms.

JJ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Wiper Installation?

raleighpilot said:
WOW!! Great Question - I never thought they might have swapped the blades.

You won't have to worry about the arms - they wouldn't have taken the blades off the arms.

JJ
Thanks. I was there when he took the wipers off and I'm pretty sure he took off the whole wiper arm and did not mess with the blades. I will definitely check it when I get home.

If I am not mistaken, based on the pics you sent me, the Driver side wiper arm is a bit curved by the springs (closer to the tooth where its attached), and the passenger side is pretty straight. Is that an accurate observation?

Thanks a lot again

JC

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Wiper Installation?

raleighpilot said:

JJ
Do I understand you correctly? The blades are different lengths? I've never seen two different length blades in the same package. That means I'd have to buy two sizes and set the extras aside until the next change.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Wiper Installation?

krygny said:
Do I understand you correctly? The blades are different lengths? I've never seen two different length blades in the same package. That means I'd have to buy two sizes and set the extras aside until the next change.
Or you can buy them fron the Honda dealer and pay 4 times what they cost anywhere else..

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Wiper Installation?

4603pba said:
Or you can buy them fron the Honda dealer and pay 4 times what they cost anywhere else..
Well, that's just an infuriatingly lame design.:3:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not to worry guys

Honda blades have been different sizes for years (at least 5 that I know of).

When I replaced the blades on my wife's 99 Accord I went to Pep Boys and bought the blades - they come packaged 1 blade per package and you purchase the exact length you need. They are available one per package in multiple brands of blades.

Wiper blades are designed that way to give the driver greater visability.

Same was true for my 95 Nissan, my 01 Prelude, etc. etc.

JJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Wiper Installation?

Aija said:
Thanks. I was there when he took the wipers off and I'm pretty sure he took off the whole wiper arm and did not mess with the blades. I will definitely check it when I get home.

If I am not mistaken, based on the pics you sent me, the Driver side wiper arm is a bit curved by the springs (closer to the tooth where its attached), and the passenger side is pretty straight. Is that an accurate observation?

Thanks a lot again

JC
Sorry - I can't tell - - The arms look exactly the same to me. I'd say the only way to really tell is to look up the part number of the arms.

By the way - when the installer fixes your problem I'd sure clean my windshield before I leave there - - just to make sure that everything works correctly again and that the blades really park in the correct place.

JJ

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Aija said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

Thanks.
Aija: Let me know if you still need the installation instructions for the wiper arm -- I have the service manual at home and I can scan the page (I think it's page 20-156 or 22-163 or something in that vicinity) tonight if you still need it... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: HELP Wiper Installation

kemosabe said:
Aija: Let me know if you still need the installation instructions for the wiper arm -- I have the service manual at home and I can scan the page (I think it's page 20-156 or 22-163 or something in that vicinity) tonight if you still need it... :)
Kemosabe
Yes. I would appreciate it if you can please scan it for me so I can show the installer. I would do it myself, but I can't even pull the Wiper arm off. Maybe there is something I need to press to release it.

Thanks.

JC

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wiper Installation

For future reference, I would like to add the following steps when removing and installing wiper arms:

a. To remove th wiper arms, it is necessary to bend the wiper arm away from the windshield. I could not pull it out when the wiper arm was straight. There must have been a lock where it attaches to the teeth.

b. The wiper arms are not interchangeable. To know which wiper arm should go to the driver side and the passenger side (assuming its a left-hand drive), look at the lower part of the arm which is attached to the motor. It it is bent slightly, that wiper arm goes to the driver side. You can see the difference in the drawing from the service manual, but it did not mention it anywhere.

Kemo and all, thanks for your help. I hope I was able to fix the wind noise but fixing the wiper arms. I will let you know soon.

God Bless.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Problem Not Resolved

I replaced the wiper arms.
Had the installer reseal the windshield.

I'm still getting an annoying wind noise in my windshield at 50+ mph.

Did anybody in this forum experience an increased wind noise after replacing the windshield? Does anybody have any idea what else to do?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts