Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow my dealer is having a huge spring sale with special offers on all their new Pilots. The dealership just got in 3 new Pilots included the Redrock EX that I want. This is advertised as a "BIG EVENT" and a "ONE DAY ONLY DEAL," and not offered to the public....only to those that have purchased cars from them in the past. I really really really need everyone's opinion who reads this. What should I offer for the Pilot EX and what price would you accept. Sticker is 29,730. Please help....I'm only hours away from my decision. Thank you!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Tigg2418 said:
Tomorrow my dealer is having a huge spring sale with special offers on all their new Pilots. The dealership just got in 3 new Pilots included the Redrock EX that I want. This is advertised as a "BIG EVENT" and a "ONE DAY ONLY DEAL," and not offered to the public....only to those that have purchased cars from them in the past. I really really really need everyone's opinion who reads this. What should I offer for the Pilot EX and what price would you accept. Sticker is 29,730. Please help....I'm only hours away from my decision. Thank you!!
It all depends on your location. It sounds like they will have at least a few on the lot so I would start at invoice + $500.

IMHO be carefull with these specials. They can sometimes turn into a bait and switch routine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow....what a quick response. I am being VERY careful of the so called "sale." I'll be very interested to see what it is really all about. So you think invoice plus 500. Sounds like a great deal to me. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Tigg2418 said:
This is advertised as a "BIG EVENT" and a "ONE DAY ONLY DEAL," and not offered to the public....only to those that have purchased cars from them in the past.
All high-pressure sales tactics and all lies. If they don't sell the car to you, they'll sell it to somebody else. Of course, if you don't buy the car from them, you'll buy it from somebody else. <u>You</u> have options too. I think it's important to remember that.

It's a long series of articles, but it should be required reading before anyone buys a car from a dealer. I think of it as the "Valachi Papers" of the car dealer Mafia.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I got 2300 off sticker last weekend on an EX-L

Plus worked them to toss in winter mats. Did most of the price negotiation over the internet before ever going in. Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Start at invoice.

Screw $500. over. They may take it. Start at invoice. They still have their holdback. And may take it. They will only negotiate you up anyway. Use Edmunds to find invoice.

I can't believe I payed MSRP, but that was 7 months ago.

Oh well.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Re: Start at invoice.

MDXlite said:
Screw $500. over. They may take it. Start at invoice. They still have their holdback. And may take it. They will only negotiate you up anyway. Use Edmunds to find invoice.

I can't believe I payed MSRP, but that was 7 months ago.

Oh well.......
You're right MDXlite, they will only negotiate up. May as well start with the lowest price possible. I would, however, be realistic in your bargaining.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Re: Re: Start at invoice.

smurray said:

I would, however, be realistic in your bargaining.

Naturally. Just don't tell them that. $500 over is a fine deal. If you start at zero you may end up at $500. If you start at $500, you may end up at $1k...

Gotta play hardball with these guys. They deal with car buyers everyday. Car buyers only deal with them a handful of times in their lifetime. Go get 'em tiger...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
We bought our Pilot three weeks ago during a one-day "no dicker" sale. We dickered. The sale is still going on. Pilots are selling. Good luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Last June, when many of us bought our Pilots, there was no moving off of sticker. In fact, you were LUCKY if you got the car for sticker-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
I bought mine when a dealer advertised at $2500 below MSRP in the paper...I called tehm..they agreed to give at that price and I placed my order..:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
MG Pilot said:
Last June, when many of us bought our Pilots, there was no moving off of sticker. In fact, you were LUCKY if you got the car for sticker-
yup...its always demand and supply...plus honda does not have a whole lot of dealers specially outside the big metro area...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Consumer Report Wholesale Price

If you have not purchased yet, here is the Consumer Price Wholesale Price. This includes the Dealer Holdback.

$23,856 for a LX
$25,915 for a EX
$27,000 for a EX Leather
$28,303 for a EX Leather/Entertainment
$28,738 for a EX Leather/Navigation

Add 5% to above prices. That is what you should be paying for a Pilot. Don't fall for the dealer's BS, hot car, high demand, etc.
I purchased a EX Leather/Navigation on 4/27/03 for $30,210 plus tax and license. I emailed every dealership and said I was ready to buy at $30,100. Two dealerships accepted my offer. $30,210 included wheel locks, all season floor mats, cargo tray, and rear splash guards.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Pilots below MSRP

I bought my LX $330 over invoice here in New Orleans. Spent almost 2 hours haggling and that after quite a few emails. I guess that is the way to do business :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Put a deposit on a Pilot EX!

Hi! New here!

I called a local dealer and told the salesperson I was in no hurry, wanted to buy at invoice but was realistic (obviously, first mistake but oh well). I have checked 5 other local dealers and the lowest I got was $250 under MSRP. Anyway, we agreed to $1000 under MSRP, I gave her $1500 deposit and wanted an email confirming the price, etc. The Pilot is being shipped and is expected within the month.

So, she emails me and I guess there's a type because she wrote we agreed to $1370 :D under MSRP. So, what do you think she's going to do. My friends say I should hold her to it - I have it in writing! I don't think she's noticed it yet - at least she hasn't emailed me again and I haven't said anything!

Just wondering what your opinions are and what you think will happen when I go to pick it up!

Lisa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Re: Put a deposit on a Pilot EX!

lbskinny said:
Hi! New here!

I called a local dealer and told the salesperson I was in no hurry, wanted to buy at invoice but was realistic (obviously, first mistake but oh well). I have checked 5 other local dealers and the lowest I got was $250 under MSRP. Anyway, we agreed to $1000 under MSRP, I gave her $1500 deposit and wanted an email confirming the price, etc. The Pilot is being shipped and is expected within the month.

So, she emails me and I guess there's a type because she wrote we agreed to $1370 :D under MSRP. So, what do you think she's going to do. My friends say I should hold her to it - I have it in writing! I don't think she's noticed it yet - at least she hasn't emailed me again and I haven't said anything!

Just wondering what your opinions are and what you think will happen when I go to pick it up!

Lisa

congratulations....what color....worst case you pay what you agreed to pay...best case you pay $370 less....

why worry..see what happens....and enjoy the pilot when you get it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Great advice - thanks! I guess I just really want the extra $370! It only took her 10 minutes to come back and give me the $1000, so I figured I didn't go low enough. It's really not that big a deal. After all, I would have been willing to go $500!

I'm getting RED ROCK PEARL! Geez - hope I don't get any tickets!

Now, I need to decide what accessories to add on my own!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
lbskinny said:
Great advice - thanks! I guess I just really want the extra $370! It only took her 10 minutes to come back and give me the $1000, so I figured I didn't go low enough. It's really not that big a deal. After all, I would have been willing to go $500!

I'm getting RED ROCK PEARL! Geez - hope I don't get any tickets!

Now, I need to decide what accessories to add on my own!
Congrats on the new REDROCK!! As far as the accessories go, I think the mud flaps and the cargo tray (if you haul anything dirty inside at all) are a must.

Gotta protect you baby now. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Since prices have been dropping, the dealer will be glad to have only dropped it $1370. You can hold her to it. As you said, you have it in writing.

Enjoy the car. I saw a red one yesterday. It was a nice looking Pilot, although I think they ALL are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
Tigg2418 said:
Tomorrow my dealer is having a huge spring sale with special offers on all their new Pilots. The dealership just got in 3 new Pilots included the Redrock EX that I want. This is advertised as a "BIG EVENT" and a "ONE DAY ONLY DEAL," and not offered to the public....only to those that have purchased cars from them in the past. I really really really need everyone's opinion who reads this. What should I offer for the Pilot EX and what price would you accept. Sticker is 29,730. Please help....I'm only hours away from my decision. Thank you!!
So, Tigg2418... how did the wheeling and dealing go last week? Did you pick up your Pilot? :)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top