Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 pilot

Well, I'm an idiot.

I bought an auxiliary cooler thinking I would bypass the factory cooler and this would be better. Because of what I had been reading, but got what I feel like is an expert opinion from someone who said that this is incorrect.

but I had already disconnected both hoses and drained the fluid.

I'm tryin hook things back together with the fluid going from the trans to the factory cooler in the rad to the aux cooler, but I don't remember which hoses coming off the trans or going to the radiator were hooked up where , or what the direction of the fluid flow is.

I need to know which lines on the rad and trans are the correct in and out flow lines

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Might this, from page 14-248 (1028 of 2569) of the service manual, be helpful?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I put an auxiliary transmission cooler on my 2003 this summer. If you get the battery box out of the way, look down at the two cooler lines that run from trans to rad. The hot supply line is on the left/passenger side. The return line is on the right/driver side. I put my aux cooler in the return line loop. Works great. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put an auxiliary transmission cooler on my 2003 this summer. If you get the battery box out of the way, look down at the two cooler lines that run from trans to rad. The hot supply line is on the left/passenger side. The return line is on the right/driver side. I put my aux cooler in the return line loop. Works great. Hope this helps!
Hey, That does help a bit. I had the battery tray off and realized I have plumbed it reverse now :/. My concern is actually which side of the radiator is the return side. The side that runs along the bottom from the passenger side, or the side that goes directly into the radiator on driver side?

·
Registered
451 Posts
The return fitting on the rad is towards the driver's side. Hot fittings from trans to rad are both towards pass. side

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The return fitting on the rad is towards the driver's side. Hot fittings from trans to rad are both towards pass. side
Turns out I had done it correctly all along. I was confused because the coolant in the radiator was heating the trans fluid up quicker than having it in gear was, so the return line was hotter than the supply line. This is initially why I was planning on elimination my factory cooler. I live where it currently gets above 100 degrees frequently during the day, but I also was concerned about the trans fluid heating up too much in traffic, and not having the coolant (although still hot, its there for a reason) to pull off heat.

only problem is, my aftermarket cooler is 5x3/4 by 11 instead of 8x11

·
Registered
451 Posts
If your aux cooler is the stacked plate design, which is the best one, might be good enough. I have a Hayden rapidcool 678 (which is not stacked plate). Haven't really pushed it hard yet. Seems to have plenty of cooling capacity.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Turns out I had done it correctly all along. I was confused because the coolant in the radiator was heating the trans fluid up quicker than having it in gear was, so the return line was hotter than the supply line. This is initially why I was planning on elimination my factory cooler. I live where it currently gets above 100 degrees frequently during the day, but I also was concerned about the trans fluid heating up too much in traffic, and not having the coolant (although still hot, its there for a reason) to pull off heat.

only problem is, my aftermarket cooler is 5x3/4 by 11 instead of 8x11
A small cooler is still better than none at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm tryin hook things back together with the fluid going from the trans to the factory cooler in the rad to the aux cooler, but I don't remember which hoses coming off the trans or going to the radiator were hooked up where , or what the direction of the fluid flow is.

Generally you would want the additional cooler BEFORE the one in the radiator. It will be more effective at removing excess heat in that position and won't be adding as much heat to the coolant. The other reason being if you cool the fluid leaving the one in the radiator, it may be cooler than it should be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2005 Pilot. I read that they were prone to radiator failures. Would it make sense and is it possible to bypass the radiator altogether and just have a separate trans cooler? I live in the Chicago area and don't really have to worry about severe heat. I'd like to avoid getting the coolant mixed in with my trans fluid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your aux cooler is the stacked plate design, which is the best one, might be good enough. I have a Hayden rapidcool 678 (which is not stacked plate). Haven't really pushed it hard yet. Seems to have plenty of cooling capacity.
Mine is stacked plate not finned tube also a hayden just the smaller model.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you add the auxiliary cooler, it's going to be a good thing for the transmission. I've always heard that you put the auxiliary cooler in the return line, so it cools the fluid after it passes through the standard cooler. Up to you to decide how big of a cooler that you need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts