Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i replaced my radiator and flushed trans with 6 gallons of atf literally i filled up my radiator like normal as it was warming up cooling system exploded goop everywhere how did a brand new radiator get filled up with all this goop and how do i properly get all of this stuff out someone please help

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
So i replaced my radiator and flushed trans with 6 gallons of atf literally i filled up my radiator like normal as it was warming up cooling system exploded goop everywhere how did a brand new radiator get filled up with all this goop and how do i properly get all of this stuff out someone please help
Dang, that’s brutal. Did you use a name brand radiator? And was the packaging clean? Perhaps it was a previously returned radiator because of damage that never got fixed?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
Return the radiator get your money back go to rock auto and pick up a sensor radiator flush the transmission out a transmission cooler mount in front of a/c cooler tap into existing transmission lines coming off the radiator don’t delete the existing setup and you’ll won’t need to worry about that happening again change transmission fluid every 60,000 miles

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
Return the radiator get your money back go to rock auto and pick up a sensor radiator flush the transmission out a transmission cooler mount in front of a/c cooler tap into existing transmission lines coming off the radiator don’t delete the existing setup and you’ll won’t need to worry about that happening again change transmission fluid every 60,000 miles
Oh the brand is a Denso radiator

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Denso is original equipment radiator. Typically very good. Since you just installed it as a new part it that is strange.
Was the box it came in opened when you got it?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
You did burp it well, right?

Recheck all your hose connections, especially ATF to radiator.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
57 Posts
Got the radiator from auto zone brand new
That was the first mistake you made right there. if you aren't buying OEM parts please don't buy parts like that from Autozone. Rockauto would have been better or even 1-800radiator.com is a very reliable company that I did a camera job at one of their warehouses. These guys are extremely reliable and trustworthy.

Besides that I am thinking that the coolant is mixing with oil in the engine please check the oil.

·
Registered
120 Posts
that's not a strawberry milkshake. I've had one and you know it. The strawberry milkshake is pink like...well...you know....

What exactly did you fill the radiator up with?

Check your oil and your ATF. If your oil is amber/brown and clear and your ATF is red and clear, then whatever this is only in the radiator/water jacket. If that churned up white stuff is mixed in with oil in the crankcase or ATF in the tranny, then you have huge problems.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
i don’t think you messed up by buying the radiator from autozone. I am going to assume there was an error in the installation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Could i have mixed up the lines ? Putting them back on
On my 2009, the thermostat housing goes to the bottom of the radiator which was different than all my other cars. Is it possible you mixed up the coolant hoses on install? I'm not sure one could do that, and I don't think that would cause this but who knows?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Could i have mixed up the lines ? Putting them back on
The radiator hoses are much larger than any transmission line. The only hoses that somewhat match the transmission lines would be heater hoses but I don’t think there has been a mix up.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
So i replaced my radiator and flushed trans with 6 gallons of atf literally i filled up my radiator like normal as it was warming up cooling system exploded goop everywhere how did a brand new radiator get filled up with all this goop
Did you use some type of Prestone radiator flush?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didn’t use any flush just put the hose in where rad cap goes and disconnected top hose and got a lot of the stuff out which i thought was good enough apparently not could that have been all the stuff inside the engine because that didn’t happen until the thermostat opened

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Didn’t use any flush just put the hose in where rad cap goes and disconnected top hose and got a lot of the stuff out which i thought was good enough apparently not could that have been all the stuff inside the engine because that didn’t happen until the thermostat opened
So I'm assuming then, you had a problem before the new radiator was installed? What prompted a radiator replacement?
You may have a head gasket leak.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Definitely check your oil. What came out is brown instead of pink.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I hope that the clean ATF spill at the bottom means the transmission is ok.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts