Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my insurance in place for my new Pilot that I am supposed to be picking up on Thursday. When I called my insurance company and gave then the VIN the dealer gave me, their computer pulled up "2003 Honda Pilot" (instead of 2004). Now I am concerned. I entered the VIN number on the hondacars.com website, under the Owner's Link, and it brings up info on a 2004 Pilot. I want to make sure that my insurance company gives me an accurate quote, not to mention that I'm actually getting a 2004 Pilot from my dealer! The dealer assures me that my car is a 2004 and says that the vehicle year is identified in the VIN by the 10th digit, and mine is a 4. Please advise!!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I'd chalk it up to the insurance company's database not being updated. I'm not an insurance person, and don't play one on TV or websites :) but I'd say you fulfilled your obligation by informing the insurance company of the VIN, and I would think there aren't any differences 03 to 04 to change the actual premium.

Heck, when I bought my Pilot in June of 2002 my insurance company couldn't pull it up at all, and the agent asked me what vehicles were comparable. I told him the Highlander I traded in was comparable, and he did that quote based on the Highlander. Now it's in their database, and the rate isn't out of line with what I expected.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car Fax

BCinTX said:
Try car fax's site . They show mine correctly as a 2004. I found another place that also described the 10th digit as the year.
Tried it and mine is reflected as a 2004 as well. Thanks for the site.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
gymeni said:
I am trying to get my insurance in place for my new Pilot that I am supposed to be picking up on Thursday. When I called my insurance company and gave then the VIN the dealer gave me, their computer pulled up "2003 Honda Pilot" (instead of 2004). Now I am concerned. I entered the VIN number on the hondacars.com website, under the Owner's Link, and it brings up info on a 2004 Pilot. I want to make sure that my insurance company gives me an accurate quote, not to mention that I'm actually getting a 2004 Pilot from my dealer! The dealer assures me that my car is a 2004 and says that the vehicle year is identified in the VIN by the 10th digit, and mine is a 4. Please advise!!

the insurance will probably be a little cheaper if they have it as a 2003....go with it :D :D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: Re: HELP PLEASE! VINs and Vehicle Year

ramirami said:
the insurance will probably be a little cheaper if they have it as a 2003....go with it :D :D
Yeah, until it's totalled or stolen and they only want to pay you the value of a 2003 model! :headshak: :p

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am an Allstate Insurance agent and the correct 10th diget for a 2004 is a 4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts