Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, please spare the lectures, yes, I was using my Dewalt impact wrench in a hurry and over torqued the nut. The first problem was I only had an hour for a 2 hour job and was rushing!

Does anyone have any idea how to replace the top left bolt on the rear shock mount?

Thanks in advance for any help and grace on the mistake!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To confirm the left hand side had the bolt permanently mounted in there and was just the nut you had to take off and the right side is a bolt you screw in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since you were installing it, the remaining piece of bolt is loose, not corroded and should back out easily with a reverse drill bit as mentioned. If not, then drill a hole in its center and use an eze out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
He broke the stud on the left, it's not a bolt. The right side is a bolt.
He needs to remove the stud. Not sure how this would be accomplished.

·
Registered
15 Posts
He called it a bolt. If it's a broken stud, first remove the shock. If the stud is threaded into the body, try grabbing what is left with visegrips and unscrewing. You might need a bit of heat. If the stud is welded on, cut off the remaining piece of stud with a dremel cutting disc or similar, and weld on a new stud.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Let me throw another approach out there...

How about just welding around the mounting tab on the side that broke rather than dealing with figuring out how to rid yourself of the stud? How many more shock replacements are you looking at (considering this is a second gen) before replacing the vehicle? Even if it's one more you can grind away the welds and just do the same on the replacement.

Reactions: tinylo

·
Registered
53 Posts
another way if you have a welder, take out the shock, then weld a flat washer to the stud, then weld a nut to the flat washer.

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
another way if you have a welder, take out the shock, then weld a flat washer to the stud, then weld a nut to the flat washer.
That the right approach. But the shock will have to come off again.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
OP what was the solution?

If that stud is welded in I would be looking to drill and tap the next size up bolt... if it's threaded in I'd be looking to either vice grip it or weld the nut on to try and spin it out, but I don't have a welder and my skills are nonexistent, so this would be a big job for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because we were hitting the road for Thanksgiving, tine wasn’t in my side. I went to a friends house with a welder and we simply welded a nut on the front aide of where the stud should be coming through and filled the nut up with weld. There was just enough of a nub of the stud left that the shock was resting on. This way if I do need to swap out the strut again I can simply reproduce my initial mistake by taking a torque/impact wrench and wripping the welded nut off. I will follow up with a picture. Thanks again for all the recommendations! Really appreciate this group and one of the reasons why I’ve kept my 2009 EX-L to over 180k miles!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts