Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

HELP -- New Radio is locked up at 10 Codes and won't give me a chance to input the other 4 (2017 HU in 2016 Touring)

230 6
I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere. I have scoured the internet to try and figure out what to do.

I swapped my failing 2016 Head Unit with an equivalent 2017 Head Unit. Install went fairly easily, but when I went to enter codes, the first 10 on the list from Honda did not work. Now the unit will not permit me to enter any more. I've tried waiting the hour recommended, I've tried (unsuccessfully) to get in to developer mode to set the clock. I've disconnected the battery. NOTHING is allowing me to enter those last 4 codes.

What do I need to do (short of taking it to the dealer and paying them to fix). . . .
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,306 Posts
I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere. I have scoured the internet to try and figure out what to do.

I swapped my failing 2016 Head Unit with an equivalent 2017 Head Unit. Install went fairly easily, but when I went to enter codes, the first 10 on the list from Honda did not work. Now the unit will not permit me to enter any more. I've tried waiting the hour recommended, I've tried (unsuccessfully) to get in to developer mode to set the clock. I've disconnected the battery. NOTHING is allowing me to enter those last 4 codes.

What do I need to do (short of taking it to the dealer and paying them to fix). . . .
It is time to contact Honda. You will probably need the VIN # of the vehicle the unit came from as well. This is not a new thing for Honda to deal with, but they do take steps to ensure that the unit is not one that has been stolen. You may need a receipt from where ever you bought it as well.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
180 Posts
Where did you get the "list of 10 codes from Honda"? That's not how it works.

Each unit comes with hard-coded combination. The seller must provide you with the exact one for the unit they sold you. That's how I had mine replaced.
Otherwise you can obtain the code yourself, via Honda. They will need to have the serial number of the unit itself and the VIN of the donor vehicle.

Have you disconnected the battery and left the vehicle overnight? That should be enough time to have it reset back to allow you to enter the code. It's usually no more than an hour, typically minutes for it to reset, but I've never actually locked myself out.
But either way, you will need the correct code or you will lock yourself out again.

·
Registered
Odyssey EX 2015_Chevy Venture 2003_
13 Posts
Try to open the unit and see if there's a battery, like a
PC battery(2032). Removing that battery will totally reset the unit.
If you can take a picture of the circuit board of headunit and post it here.
What's wrong with the OEM headunit that comes with the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crisis averted. . . . don't tell the heads of state setting climate rules, but over the course of the last week, I would run the car to put an hour on the HU, and the got a chance to input more of the codes. BTW, you need to put a continuous hour on the HU, not a total of an hour. We found out the hard way. So the car was left running in the driveway.

Long story short, I obviously mis-typed code #5 on the list, since, after putting in a total of 18 codes (re-typing the 10 that it initially let me put in), I was able to unlock the HU. All is good. Now we have Apple Play (and the wife is overjoyed). Total cost was about $575 for a new HU from a wrecked 2017 plus another $250 for a new battery (which, we needed anyhow).

I'm still not a huge fan of the Pilot (mostly because of Honda's poor service departments), but we'll be keeping this one for probably another 2 years now that we have Apple Play.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try to open the unit and see if there's a battery, like a
PC battery(2032). Removing that battery will totally reset the unit.
If you can take a picture of the circuit board of headunit and post it here.
What's wrong with the OEM headunit that comes with the car?
The OEM unit developed a static that showed up after 5-10 min of run-time that made listening to anything (Satellite, phone/bluetooth, FM, AM) but GPS directions impossible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts