Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The A/C on my 2004 Pilot is not cooling and I tried to recharge it with an AC pro hose & gauge (cf. Amazon.com: InterDynamics AC Pro Car Air Conditioner Hose and Gauge for R134A Refrigerant, Recharge Cars & Trucks & More, Reusable, 24 in, ACP-400: Automotive). The low side shows that the pressure is at ~10 psi at an ambient temperature 85F, which is way below the expected pressure and thus the clutch does not engage when A/C is set on with the lowest temperature.

The problem is that R134A does not seem to be able to get into the system: the pressure did not change after I tried to charge it for over 15 mins (e.g., the R134a can does not turn cold). Will the compressor need to run in order to suck in freon?

All relays work OK; and the compressor worked last season.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like something’s not right about the way the hose was attached or the valves positioned.

My best guess is the Schrader valve (looks like a tire valve) in the low side port wasn’t being depressed so that refrigerant could flow.

I’d read through the instructions again that came with the kit from Amazon, either the valve on the can side or the low side port valve isn’t opening.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like something’s not right about the way the hose was attached or the valves positioned.

My best guess is the Schrader valve (looks like a tire valve) in the low side port wasn’t being depressed so that refrigerant could flow.

I’d read through the instructions again that came with the kit from Amazon, either the valve on the can side or the low side port valve isn’t opening.
Thanks Dan. What you said makes a lot of sense.

I loaned the manifold gauge and will try add freon with it.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I bought a set of a/c manifold gauges from HF last year and charged my Avalon a/c system after replacing the compressor and components. Do a bit of research as the pros recommend the standard freon cans without additives like sealers into the system versus the quick-fix cans. Might consider adding uv dye to make it easier to find a leak if there is one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dan. What you said makes a lot of sense.

I loaned the manifold gauge and will try add freon with it.
Using the manifold gauge makes it "easier" and I charged the system successfully.

I also looked into why the AC pro hose did not do its job, and it turned out that the r134a can was pierced, but the hose didn't push the valve inside the can deep enough that no freon came out of the can; I could tell it by untwisting the hose but no freon escaped.

Thanks @Dan_in_WA again for the tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts