Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm planing to buy a used Honda pilot. Doing some research these days and I appreciate if you can give me your thought or any advice.

I'm trying to keep my budget to 10K or less. Because I'm planing to buy on cash. I don't want to go through the financing route :) Because of my budget I'm not looking for low millage car or newer version. Below is what I'm looking.

1) Model year 2009 to 2011 OR 2012 - 2013
2) Low millage is fine but I don't expect to get a low millage car because of my budget. Is it ok to go for 140k-180k ? what is your thought? I don't drive much. 5k max per year is my thought.

Which year is the most reliable or which year do you guys recommend?
What do you think about the milage?

Any suggestions

Thank you.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Hello,
I'm planing to buy a used Honda pilot. Doing some research these days and I appreciate if you can give me your thought or any advice.

I'm trying to keep my budget to 10K or less. Because I'm planing to buy on cash. I don't want to go through the financing route :) Because of my budget I'm not looking for low millage car or newer version. Below is what I'm looking.

1) Model year 2009 to 2011 OR 2012 - 2013
2) Low millage is fine but I don't expect to get a low millage car because of my budget. Is it ok to go for 140k-180k ? what is your thought? I don't drive much. 5k max per year is my thought.

What do you think about the milage?

Any suggestions

Thank you.
I'd look at it in this order with no huge difference in milage and has the timing belt water pump been replaced unless you DIY.
  1. Rust
  2. Maintenance
  3. Lowest Miles
  4. Year model

Reactions: rokiya and dodge803

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Get the newest, lowest mileage Pilot you can afford with the most amount of service records.

Do not expect a dealer to automatically deduct $1,000 because the timing belt wasn't done because there are plenty of other people willing to buy it and don't know about the required maintenance.

I'd avoid 2009-2011 Pilots if possible. I know they had some issues as it was a completely new redesign. By 2012-2013 rolled around, most of the problems were worked out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the newest, lowest mileage Pilot you can afford with the most amount of service records.

Do not expect a dealer to automatically deduct $1,000 because the timing belt wasn't done because there are plenty of other people willing to buy it and don't know about the required maintenance.

I'd avoid 2009-2011 Pilots if possible. I know they had some issues as it was a completely new redesign. By 2012-2013 rolled around, most of the problems were worked out.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes. 2012 is good looking. Do you think 140k-150k milage is too much for a 2012 pilot?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
Yes. 2012 is good looking. Do you think 140k-150k milage is too much for a 2012 pilot?
What do you mean by too much?
As long as it has been well maintained, mileage doesn't scare me too much. It may last another 100k miles or another 200k.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
I like the 2nd gens. I do. It's what I'd get if the 1st gens didn't exist, all else being equal.

But if reliability is one of your key criteria, for your budget have you considered a 1st gen? Yes, they're older but their reliability is relatively good, all other things being equal. This checklist should help a lot:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts