Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pilot's great, but w/ all the family trips and work being 45 miles (one way), away... Mileage is scrolling up faster than spit on a hot griddle.

Have had it for almost a year and a half and already @ 28,000 miles. (Just had the 30, 000 mile service done...)

Anyway was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on a reliable commute vehicle. Was looking for an early or mid 90's Civic or Integra, but many of the ones being advertised either have some sort of "Rice Rocket" conversion done to it or is a salvage title.

Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'd keep looking for either a Civic, Corolla, or a Protoge. If you're looking for something a bit larger, the Buick Century has been very reliable. And I don't imagine the Century has been "rice rocketed."

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 95 Integra and really like it. It's been very reliable and the only non-standard maintenance I've had done on it is getting the a/c compressor replaced.

Of course, I am looking to sell mine since it's not terribly practical when you have a family. Too bad you live 3k miles away. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 94 Integra sedan and so far it has served me well as a daily commute vehicle as well as for the occasional trips to tight places when I do not want to bring the Pilot...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
THIS IS A PERFECT LITTLE CAR

There are Civics out there with no mods...promise. We have used ours to share commutes in for the last 10 years. After 175K miles, our 94 Civic VX Hatchback has been insanely reliable.
I say insane, because we have never had to replace anything but regular maintenance things, and speakers. We are still on our original clutch, and I learned manual in the thing for pete's sake. We have never gotten below 36MPG, and average 40-42. Once, we even acheived near 60mpg. This incredible thing blue books for just $3,000 private party sale. Retails at $5,500. We just won't part with ours because it is just worth so much more to us that what she worth dollarwise. I know they're out there, but I could imagine just getting someone to part with one would be hard.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Can't go wrong with an Accord. We have had 2, a 91 and a 98. Decent size, never a problem.

:29:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Try to find a used Camry. They have reasonable mileage, and maybe even a V6.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
my commute is 30 miles one way. I have a 97 corolla DX which I purchased in Oct 2000 with 30K miles for $8K. Three years later it has 80K miles on it and has not given me any problem.

I average 40 miles per gallon on it (all freeway driving). So there you have my recommendation...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Subaru's are also a vehicle to consider. We get about 30mpg out of our Forester. Nice easy ride, AWD, comfortable.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
ramirami said:
my commute is 30 miles one way. I have a 97 corolla DX which I purchased in Oct 2000 with 30K miles for $8K. Three years later it has 80K miles on it and has not given me any problem.

I average 40 miles per gallon on it (all freeway driving). So there you have my recommendation...
We also have a Corolla (a 1999 LE trim model) that we use as our "let's save money on fuel" vehicle -- very reliable car!!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Nighthawk,

To "second" some of the suggestions made earlier, I drove an '88 Toyota Corolla for over 10 trouble-free years prior to acquiring a '98 Honda Civic which is still going strong at 90,000 miles plus.

Both were OUTSTANDING commuter cars, very good on gas, very reliable, and reasonably comfortable. :roadtrip:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks for all the responses. Wasn't looking at the Corollas, but may have that to the list. Any advice about the Misubishi Eclipse...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
nighthawk said:
Wow, thanks for all the responses. Wasn't looking at the Corollas, but may have that to the list. Any advice about the Misubishi Eclipse...
We had a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse and it was a very nice driver's car. I think it had the 2.0L 4, didn't opt for the 200hp turbo version. As I recall, it would get about 25 mpg going to/from Tahoe on Hwy 50 - not too shabby. Best of all, it was great on the mountain portion of the drive.

Only gripes were that we had problems with the CD player and the mirrors were fixed (I ripped the passenger side mirror off backing out of the garage).

Sold the car in 93 to my sister as it WAS NOT a good car if you have a toddler that needs to be put into a rear seat mounted child seat. Had our family situation been different, probably would have retained that car.

·
Registered
429 Posts
How about a TDI Volkswagen! About 50mpg on the highway and long life too!

Matt:)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Jim_1 said:
any year of the camry and maxima will be a good choice, also the altima is a very reliable car.
Heh, in that case - who wants my 89 camry w/ 211,000 miles in fair condition with a charging problem (could be alternator - haven't diagnosed, yet)? :2:

kad

1 - 16 of 16 Posts