Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2016 Pilot Touring, 9spd transmission, obviously, purchased new a little over two years ago. We also have the longest term Hondacare warranty package available.

During a service for a transmission warmer recall, and because we were hearing a "chirp", the Honda shop noted coolant leaked into transmission fluid and engine had overheated. This was at 36,438 miles.

Honda replaced the engine and transmission, flushed the heater core and cooling lines.

Once we drove the repaired vehicle we noted a "burnt oil" smell at startup and a chirp when starting cold. We returned the car to the dealership, they claimed the valve cover was ill-fitted causing the smell, and claimed not to hear the chirp. They detailed the car as well, including cleaning the engine.

We still smell the oil. We still hear a chirp at EVERY SINGLE COLD START. My wife no longer has confidence in this vehicle. I suspect the chirp means yet another new transmission is in our future.

We are not comfortable selling this car to a third party and having them inherit our problem. Can anyone suggest the most effective way to work with the dealership on this, with our desired solution being either a return of the vehicle without disastrous depreciation, or perhaps a remedy through lemon law (we live in Washington state). At what point do we escalate to a Honda regional manager? Are our expectations unreasonable? We've never had this kind of issue with a vehicle before and would appreciate guidance and strategy suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
You're probably well over the age and mileage limits of your state law. A little research on that point will help you there.
Your car's history isn't your concern. It's probably in the carfax so available to anyone. Equally it's obviously necessary to move on from that car.
At this point you need to evaluate your options.
Cars like the Highlander are pretty much the same. Others like Traverse have changed. New models like the VW and Subaru have arrived. The Pilot is updated.
Go shopping again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Prior to the Pilot, my wife's Ford Exploder was in two crashes, one so serious it was out of commission for 5 weeks, insurance nearly totaled but opted to repair. One year later the Carfax was 100% clean. So for me, "clean Carfax" is meaningless..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts