Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to determine the date my Michelin LTX M/S2s were manufactured. I looked at all four tires., The only DOT code says:

DOT B37P VCVX

That's it. Online examples for other M/S2s show a 4 digit number after that, which is MMYY. I don't have that.

Any clue what's going on here or where the date code is?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,499 Posts
Based on the visible cracks in the tire, those tires are way passed their natural lifespan.
Is there another data box after the one you posted?

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,567 Posts
Sometimes the date codes are only stamped on one side of the tire. Get underneath the Pilot and check. But based on the sidewall cracks I would consider immediate replacement.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are Michelins. They all crack quickly. IMHO, not a reason to replace.

I will crawl under and take a look at the other side.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
I've had tires the manufacturer puts the DOT date codes on the whitewall side, knowing full well that 99.9% of customers will never see them again unless the 1950s come back.

Unless now they're resorting to invalid Roman numerals to obfuscate even further (VCVX = 9505 = May 1995??).

In either case, those tires are history.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
436 Posts
Never heard Michelin tires cracking quicker than competitive tires but those Michs are done and need replacement.
I personally think Michelin tires cracking is due to the fact of the long tread life.
Many people do not drive enough miles in the tire lifespan, so the cracking happens before the tire wears out.
Replaced many Michelins with over 35 percent tread left due to cracking.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. I gave it some thought and will replace my tires. I looked back and bought these tires in 2016, and about 40k miles ago.

I'll start a thread in the tires area looking for assitance picking the replacements.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,567 Posts
OK. I gave it some thought and will replace my tires. I looked back and bought these tires in 2016, and about 40k miles ago.

I'll start a thread in the tires area looking for assitance picking the replacements.
Wise choice. Those sidewalls looked brittle.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
Wise move IMHO.

OK, but now brace yourself. :p

Cloud Sky Font Wind Pole

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I crawled under the car and got the date code. It's 2010. I then pulled the receipts. I bought 2 of the tires in 2016, then the next 2 in 2017. Live and learn for me regarding the date codes on new tire purchases.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
565 Posts
So I crawled under the car and got the date code. It's 2010. I then pulled the receipts. I bought 2 of the tires in 2016, then the next 2 in 2017. Live and learn for me regarding the date codes on new tire purchases.
Holy smokes! Where did you buy those tires that they sold you 6-7 year old goods? That is bordeline fraudulent in my book. Never shop there again, and if it is a big chain please pass along the name so we can be aware.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is why I never buy my tires online from Tire Rack or one of those places. I always go to my local Town Fair Tire (one of the largest local tire stores in New England where I live) and do a cash and carry to mount them myself. I can pick out the actual 4 tires that will go on my Pilot so that I don't get 5 year old tires.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy smokes! Where did you buy those tires that they sold you 6-7 year old goods? That is bordeline fraudulent in my book. Never shop there again, and if it is a big chain please pass along the name so we can be aware.
Seriously, who sold you those?
I pulled the receipts to be sure: It was Tire Warehouse.

And these are the very same tires, I never had a flat or swapped out any tire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts