Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 Pilot, great shape, was red-neck-running the dogs and hit a rock. Punched a hole in the rear differential.
Pulled out the rear diff, and rear axles. But since I had no other vehicle, I drove it for a week with no rear end.
Warning: don't drive your pilot without rear axles!!
It toasted my rear wheel bearings.
Got a salvage rear diff, new wheel bearings, hubs, and rear shocks.
Installed the drive shaft, rear diff (did a VTM4 fluid change - all seems good), rear axles, pressed the bearings into the knuckles and hubs, installed hubs, cleaned up the parking brakes, torqued the rear axles to 180ft lbs, and road tested.
The Axles are rattling. they definitely have more play than I remember, and the are not seated all the way into the diff. I remember they had about a 1/4" gap between the diff and the flange of the axle, that space that is used to pry the axle from the diff.
They were pretty stuck in there when I took them off, but I used a pry-bar and the came off with a bit of force.
Now they will not seat back into the diff very far.
We used to have a saying at one of the shops I worked at - "did you try to force it?", and yes I did. I put a c-clamp on the flange and beat it mercilessly. It moved a little, but I still have a rattle. The shafts definitely feel loose at the diff.
I'm stumped, the service manual is no help. Is there some priming that I need to do for the rear diff to take up slack?
The VTM seems to work, no error lights, I put it into D1 and turned it on, all was good.
How do you seat those axles into the diff further?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
May want to replace the axles with a different brand , Also if you have the originals still match the new ones with the old. I had this issue in the front ones they came from the store short !.. advanced and autozone both sold me axles that were 1 " too short.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The axles are the original Hondas. I removed and re-installed the same ones.
Weird but there is now less noise this morning. I can still hear just a little rattle, but its not as pronounced. Could the cold weather do that? it was 25F overnight.
My thought is that when I removed the axles, I stretched them or somehow mis-aligned them (I know, not really a thing, but I'm grasping for ideas). Or maybe its just taking the rear diff some time to fully presureize after the fluid change and shipping jostling. I checked operation on a icy hill, and the AWD is working. I floored it and got no wheelspin up the snow dusted 15% grade.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts