Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,377 Posts
With age, this engine will begin to leak oil from most all the places it can.
  • Valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals
  • PCV valve
  • Cam seals (2)
  • Front main seal
  • Oil pump with oil hole gasket, oil pump is sealed using Honda Bond or a gasket maker (I use Permatex Ultra Black)
  • Oil pan is sealed using Honda Bond or a gasket maker
  • Oil filter housing gasket (spool valve gasket)
  • VVT solenoid gasket
  • Main bearing cap bolts
  • Cam Thrust cover gaskets (2)
  • Rear main seal
  • Rear main cover plate with O-ring gasket, sealed with Honda Bond or gasket maker
Wood Sleeve Gesture Knee Floor

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Looks like mine at similar mileage. Ended up having to reseal the oil pump, which requires taking the timing belt off.
You are at the mileage and age where you could knock out both at once.
Search the forums, I posted on it a while ago Has Anyone actually done the oil pump reseal?
There are some YT videos on how to do it, as well as some writeups on the RL forums. While you have it all apart replace the spool gasket, as you'll have to take that all off anyways. It will likely be hard and brittle.
Yes, fun stuff.
This was my experience on my 2012 Crosstour. Much the same. Some photos included.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
That's a very comprehensive list. Thanks!

I have replaced PCV (right next to the oil stick for this model year) which had oil stain outside it; 3 gaskets in/on top of the oil filter housing. Test driving for ~10 miles seemed to have reduced the leak at least: it used to have oil droplets at the drain plug and now I don't see it.

I still suspect that oil pump is leaking, given that some oil stains are above the oil filter housing. so @RonnieJ Thanks for pointing me to the thread. At the next timing belt change, I will ask my mechanic to replace the gasket inside the oil pump assembly. Speaking of which, is there any way to get it done without dropping the exhaust pipe?
No. The exhaust must be dropped. I'd replace the exhaust flange gaskets too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts