Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2006 Honda Pilot with 233,000- runs great! Over the past few months it began making this sound- one would think it is my noise indicator for my brakes but it is not- my brakes are in great condition- My mechanic who is good- no flake lol- and his cohorts cannot find anything wrong! They’ve listened to the attached video- About the noise- it is inconsistent, happens when I accelerate as well as brake as well as in the middle of driving! Sometimes it is so loud it sounds like metal is about to snap or break - what in the heck is it?
And you’ll notice my check engine light is on as well - it’s been that way for years- comes and goes- and has something to do with the catalytic converter but Honda dealer says converter is fine..,, Thanks for listening to the video all the way to the end and for any feedback you may have.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
71 Posts
This sounds exactly like a problem I had after doing a brake job. I found that the steel shims that the pads slide on to be the problem. I had put all new parts on and the squeal was intermittent, but almost immediately noticed after I had done the brake job. I have done many brake jobs before and this was a first for me. When I took the brakes apart and inspected every last detail, I found that the gap in the middle of the shim, the part that fits around the rotor, was too narrow. Another way to put it is that my rotor was too thick for the shim. I compared it to the old shims and the old shims had a wider gap. I took a grinder to the middle of the shim and gave it about 1 mm more clearance. I reinstalled my brakes and didn't have anymore issues after that.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
71 Posts
This sounds exactly like a problem I had after doing a brake job. I found that the steel shims that the pads slide on to be the problem. I had put all new parts on and the squeal was intermittent, but almost immediately noticed after I had done the brake job. I have done many brake jobs before and this was a first for me. When I took the brakes apart and inspected every last detail, I found that the gap in the middle of the shim, the part that fits around the rotor, was too narrow. Another way to put it is that my rotor was too thick for the shim. I compared it to the old shims and the old shims had a wider gap. I took a grinder to the middle of the shim and gave it about 1 mm more clearance. I reinstalled my brakes and didn't have anymore issues after that.
Gap for the rotor is not wide enough.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Also check the dust shield behind the brakes. They can get rusted or bent, and I even pulled a little pebble out of there once to stop a noise like yours.

If they're too far gone, you don't even need to keep them; they're optional.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also check the dust shield behind the brakes. They can get rusted or bent, and I even pulled a little pebble out of there once to stop a noise like yours.

If they're too far gone, you don't even need to keep them; they're optional.
Agree on dust shield. I have one wheel where the dust shield would always rub on the rotor after getting bumped by the wheel when you take it off for rotating tires or brake job. Learned to bend it back a tiny bit every time. Would make a weird tinny ringing rubbing sound off and on, brakes or no brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s some good insight!! I’ll go back and check when these brakes/pads were put on! Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts