Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I would like to give everybody some props for being so helpful and answering/responding to my questions. After researching, test driving and some encouragement from you folks, I am going through the purchase.........hopefully I will have my Pilot EX SS on 8/11.

Now to my question: How can I avoiding paying California taxes and just pay my residence tax at Nevada. I purchased a Pilot through the internet with a California dealership. He gave me this options:

1. Pick it up in California and pay the California taxes.

2. Have somebody drive it to the California/Nevada border and avoid California taxes. I just need to pay the Nevada taxes when I register the SUV.
Approx. Cost = $200 (he did mention a 70 year old retired guy from Pasadena driving it)...LOL.

3. Have them truck the SUV to my house and and avoid California taxes. I just need to pay the Nevada taxes when I register the SUV.
Approx. Cost = $300-$400

This is what I have heard from other internet sales but not quite sure where to get the info. My sales person is not aware of these options kinda makes me wonder.

36 Hour Permit or a Driveby Permit - you would not pay for the Taxes on the State you purchase it until you register the vehicle.

Have anybody heard of these alternatives? If so where can I get some info. so I can pass it to my dealership.

Sorry for the long post. Again thank you ALL! I love you MAN!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very interesting. I didn't know you have to pay the state tax where you get the vehicle.

At one time, I was going to buy the MDX in Pa. (Earlier delivery time) The dealer told me I just need to pay the VA tax since I live and will register the car in VA. I guess different state has different rule??:eek:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
vegasdude said:
First of all, I would like to give everybody some props for being so helpful and answering/responding to my questions. After researching, test driving and some encouragement from you folks, I am going through the purchase.........hopefully I will have my Pilot EX SS on 8/11.

Now to my question: How can I avoiding paying California taxes and just pay my residence tax at Nevada. I purchased a Pilot through the internet with a California dealership. He gave me this options:

1. Pick it up in California and pay the California taxes.

2. Have somebody drive it to the California/Nevada border and avoid California taxes. I just need to pay the Nevada taxes when I register the SUV.
Approx. Cost = $200 (he did mention a 70 year old retired guy from Pasadena driving it)...LOL.

3. Have them truck the SUV to my house and and avoid California taxes. I just need to pay the Nevada taxes when I register the SUV.
Approx. Cost = $300-$400

This is what I have heard from other internet sales but not quite sure where to get the info. My sales person is not aware of these options kinda makes me wonder.

36 Hour Permit or a Driveby Permit - you would not pay for the Taxes on the State you purchase it until you register the vehicle.

Have anybody heard of these alternatives? If so where can I get some info. so I can pass it to my dealership.

Sorry for the long post. Again thank you ALL! I love you MAN!
Go to your local DMV and ask what the laws are ...

Are we talking Sales Tax or Registration Tax ... I believe once you've paid the sales tax regardless of the state it's paid in you do not have to pay it again ...

PrG

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have purchased most of my vehicles out of state and I get the same routine every time - You pay the taxes to the state and county where your car will be registered (i.e.- your house). I have even had an out of state dealer call my states DMV to make sure that the proper rate was charged.

Chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are talking about sales tax. California is 1% higher than Nevada, it's still $320 bucks in savings. That should cover for my mudguards and striping....LOL!

·
Registered
449 Posts
The Taxman Cometh

As a :9: taxman/revenuer, I can generally tell you that the tax is usually due at the point of registration. So if you can get the vehicle to Vegas, where the tax rate is lower, you will either need to show that you previously paid the tax in another jurisdiction or pay the tax at your local rate before they will issue the registration.

The is a hook, but not necessarily in your case since you are going from a higher rate to a lower rate. If you are going from a state with a lower rate than your home state with a higher rate, many states will require you to pay the difference in the rates before they will issue the registration. So, if you were going from Vegas to CA, they might want you to pony up the extra 1% as well.

Either way, the taxman taketh. :22: BWAAA HA HA HA!! :22:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: The Taxman Cometh

Twinkie said:
As a :9: taxman/revenuer,

Either way, the taxman taketh. :22: BWAAA HA HA HA!! :22:
How can you live with yourself .... Tax Man .... :16:

Ha Ha ... Umm ... Just joking ... NO audits please ...:6:

PrG

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Talk to the Business Manager

The Business Manager at the deaalership will usually know exactly how this is done.
I am sure most dealers have handeled at least a few out of state buyers.
In general you will save no taxes, and you will pay no extra taxes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
PrG - we have secured the IP address from your computer and have triangulated your position. A black helicopter should be swooping in at any moment. :4:

We will never go away. Tax collectors were scorned in the Bible to no avail. The oldest written documents known to man are a tax rolls...taxing the world's oldest profession. After the apocalypse, it will just be taxmen, cockroaches and lawyers. :1:

·
Registered
449 Posts
lol...it's even more funny that it came from a Worm!:p

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Twinkie said:
PrG - we have secured the IP address from your computer and have triangulated your position. A black helicopter should be swooping in at any moment. :4:
:1:
:13:

Is it ok to come out now ?

PrG

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry - my firewalls will protect me. Try looking for some private IP address.....OK. You can never find my IP or MAC address. Not even a Sniffer will do..........LOL!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts