Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am considering buying a used Honda Pilot. I've looked at 2 that I like. Both look well maintained. One is a 2010 with 154,000 miles and the other is a 2006 with 133,000 miles. What are your thoughts on this? Will I be running into problems with this mileage? Thank you.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hello. I am considering buying a used Honda Pilot. I've looked at 2 that I like. Both look well maintained. One is a 2010 with 154,000 miles and the other is a 2006 with 133,000 miles. What are your thoughts on this? Will I be running into problems with this mileage? Thank you.
"Well maintained". Has transmission fluid been serviced regularly? Was the timing belt and water pump replaced at 100k? Were the valves adjusted at 100k?

Regular transmission service helps to avoid a very expensive replacement. Timing belt service and valve adjustment are both rather spendy items that need to be done.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I am certainly not trying to scare you away! Well maintained Pilots often go 250k miles. Just try to determine if there is expensive deferred maintenance involved.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,945 Posts
If you can get the full maintenance records for both vehicles compare what was done versus the 2005 maintenance guide (2005 was the last year Honda published the maintenance schedule; 2006+ uses the maintenance minder).
And it probably goes without saying to have your trusted mechanic pre-purchase inspect the one that you seriously consider.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I bought a 2003 with 130k a year ago to be a daily driver for 50k miles or so.

It needed a suspension refresh, multiple common repairs (rear heater thermistor, door actuators, etc.) and some paint and body work. Mechanically, it has been very solid.

There's a long current thread about why people like their first-gen Pilots. Its probably worth reading to get a feel for the tradeoffs of that era. For me, the lack of high-tech wizardry in a first-gen is a plus, because it makes the vehicle cheaper and easier to maintain. Think about what you want the vehicle to do for you - that will probably tell you a lot about which one will be a better fit.

·
Registered
2020 Acura TLX A-Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL- AWD
9 Posts
I just purchased a nice 2006 EXL 4WD with 110k on it as a second vehicle. I work at an Acura dealership and the technicians all stress change the fluids, so I addressed those first. Here is what I replaced in order of importance.

First, transmission, front and rear differential, brake and power steering fluids all replaced ( I would recommend the 9 quart transmission flush).

Second there was no record of a timing belt service change so I replaced. Also replaced the Serpentine belt and thermostat (both cheap since it was easily accessible during the t-belt change).

Third, I would address the spark plugs, valve adjustment. Recommend by Honda at 105/110K. Those items won't leave you stranded along side the road but still important to long term reliability and gas mileage.

I don't think this generation of Pilots have problems, as much as deferred maintenance costs the next owner has to come correct on. Hope this helps. They are solid vehicles for sure. Mine doesn't have a squeak or rattle at 110k.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If they have the original radiators then I recommend factoring in money to replace that just to be safe. The transmission cooler connections at the radiator on my pilot had corroded and broke off around 150k miles. The washers behind the transmission line connections outside of the radiator had corroded and swelled up, pulling the threads out of the radiator so it only took a light force to have them completely disconnect. Luckily I found this in the garage and not while driving!

A friend of mine also had the problem where his transmission cooler in the radiator ruptured and it sucked antifreeze into the transmission. That left him stranded on a Sunday in rural Kentucky and caused damage to his transmission. He has around 130k on his 2006 when that happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts