Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Help identifying these materials/surfaces underneath rear seats

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  shagwagon05 
#1 ·
Automotive tire Wood Fixture Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Road surface Grey Rectangle Asphalt

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Bumper

Labeled 1 and 2, working on making a platform with storage underneath in place of my rear seats. Want to put a support beam there but the surface is super uneven. Wanted to see if I could grind/remove them to make a flat surface to cut a beam to. Assuming it's a no, but curious if anyone knows what they are. Thanks all.

See less See more
#4 ·
Labeled 1 and 2, working on making a platform with storage underneath in place of my rear seats. Want to put a support beam there but the surface is super uneven. Wanted to see if I could grind/remove them to make a flat surface to cut a beam to
Could be double layer sound deadening material over strategic areas. Since your building with wood build a level structure over the uneven bottom. IMO wood may not be the best material to use in the harsh environment within the vehicle but if you can keep it dry it should be ok.keep us up to date on your progress as it should be an interesting overland project if that’s your endgame.

#6 ·
Those are factory CLD tiles. I personally wouldn’t remove them. For starters, the adhesive they used is very strong, and like mentioned you may get unwanted rust if you grind and don’t paint/seal after.

They basically are used to dampen unwanted resonance in the sheet metal panels. Think adding mass to a soda can so it doesn’t ting as loud when you flick it.

#8 ·
If his user name is any hint... :)

#15 ·
And for those interested in the second half of the platform, it's on indefinite hold. Realizing that my subframe rot is not worth fixing, I'll be happy with what I have and keep driving it until she goes.
I'll still be making a video when the finishing touches on what I have are done, making some slight changes knowing I don't want to spend the time and money on the front half.
All in all it cost me $100 so I'm not too upset, it'll make it more enjoyable for me until the inevitable happens.
Shoutout to the Midwest winters and to my mom for never washing the underside of the car when she owned it for the first 10 years 🤣 Salt is a B*TCH!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Rim

#18 ·
Check out this recent video where Aaron makes a decent repair on the rusty subframe for some ideas.
I don’t know if that would suffice for his level of damage. There’s already a significant amount of rust on Shag’s body where Aaron bolts his saddle to. He’d have to probably cut out the floor board and do a lot of rust repair inside that section of the body before bolting on a saddle.

Shag, it already looks like the subframe has pulled out of the body and I’d say it’s probably unsafe to drive the vehicle as-is.

#19 ·
#20 ·
A couple of rear subframe mount rust repairs here...

Rusted subframe mount repair

2004 Subframe rust repair

Wow thank you, that breaths hope into me. Been dreading the thought of buying another used cars in these markets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.