Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a long vacation with lots of mountain driving. (San Francisco to Vegas to Tahoe and back). My 2006 EX-L AWD has 136000 miles and was a few hundred miles late for an oil change so I did it as soon as I got back. Here's what I found when I flashed a light toward the filter area. The brown is the old oil that leaked out from changing the filter. The greenish greasy stuff is what I'm unsure about. It doesn't look like a CV joint to me. It got dark so I didn't get a chance to look from underneath. Anyone have experience with anything like this? (The other side is dry BTW.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thought... could be leaky radiator? That would explain the weird splatter pattern and the color perhaps.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Leprechaun roadkill season is still a couple of months off, so I'd say check your radiator.

·
Registered
48 Posts
CV grease gets my vote...mine was green also but much darker. Turn your wheel all the way to the right and check for damages on the inner boot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Inner boot is leaking on the CV joint on the skinny side and it's being flung by the motion of the joint. Put a hose clamp on it from lowes and trim off the excess, that's how I fixed mine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Like noted above, the inner CV boot is clearly leaking and causing your mess. I would personally just replace the entire axle at this point.

·
Registered
283 Posts
my experience, to get the right CV axle out, you will need a chain and slide hammer to pop it out of the transmission. I also replaced the seal while doing the change out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked under the car this morning and did not see any coolant leak at all so pretty easy to confirm all of your advice as correct! I didn't find a hole but it's hard to see the whole boot. The metal band seems tight too so it doesn't seem like that would be an issue. There must be a leak somewhere though. In which case, replacing the axle seems like less work for not much more money (assuming it's not a loose band clamp.) I considered the split boots but apparently those are garbage and only meant for emergency situations.

Any advice on axles to avoid? I was just going to hit up the local O'reilly for a kit. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/import-direct-driveline-3985/cv-driveshaft-axle-16804/cv-half-shaft-11389/7acfacd27274/import-direct-cv-axle-shaft-new/ho8210/4382549/2006/honda/pilot?pos=1

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
To make amends for my leprechaun/radiator misdirect, here are some good replacement options.

Preferably choose one with a little heart next to it, like this one:

They even provide some handy do's and don'ts: http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT 60-0004.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Inner boot is leaking on the CV joint on the skinny side and it's being flung by the motion of the joint. Put a hose clamp on it from lowes and trim off the excess, that's how I fixed mine.
Did you add more grease inside before doing this? Not sure how much grease you leaked out but mine looks like a lot...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The darker oil dripping & puddling on top of the greasy green sludge appears to be a 2nd issue, a small oil leak from somewhere above the axle shaft inner boot. Possibly valve cover, timing cover, bearing seal or hose leak.
The greasy green sludge gives the appearance of oil & water mixed internally then spat out thru the cracked boot. Clean & inspect both the steering boot & the axle boot.
At least one of those boots are cracked. I think it looks like it coming from the power steering rack & pinion strut boot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
my experience, to get the right CV axle out, you will need a chain and slide hammer to pop it out of the transmission. I also replaced the seal while doing the change out.
Yours would not come out with a pry bar? Where did you hook the chain to get it out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The darker oil dripping & puddling on top of the greasy green sludge appears to be a 2nd issue, a small oil leak from somewhere above the axle shaft inner boot. Possibly valve cover, timing cover, bearing seal or hose leak.
The greasy green sludge gives the appearance of oil & water mixed internally then spat out thru the cracked boot. Clean & inspect both the steering boot & the axle boot.
At least one of those boots are cracked. I think it looks like it coming from the power steering rack & pinion strut boot.
Yes, the darker oil was from when I replaced the oil filter. So ignore that. Going to replace the axle this week and will report back as to whether there is indeed a crack in the CV boot or what.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts