Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took my engine cover off to do an SVCM install and found this cozy looking modification that a local rodent added to my 2019 EXL (we have many ongoing battles with rats thanks to all the backyard chicken coops around us). My question is, whats your guess on where the material came from? It’s not from the under hood blanket which is untouched. Is there another firewall nearby that was pilfered?
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,146 Posts
No clue but it might be good time to get some ant-rodent tape for the wires. maybe a bunch more traps around the area.

Second part - it's decorative with some very slight noise reduction. Leave that cover off so they don't have the shelter (but they might find somewhere else :oops:)

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,146 Posts
Cat (feline version)? free time, thermal camera and red ryder or air rifle? Pest Elimination bait?

I had crickets in my garage and put some of those sticky pad traps down by the freezer. I caught 5 crickets and 2 mice on them. I now spray the perimeter more often and fixed seals some to reduce openings. Of course if it's outside all the time then that is more challenging.

I saw one where the guy did the glue traps as a full perimeter of the vehicle. He parked in the middle and just moved the 5-6 on front or back and replaced when he parked.

· Registered
138 Posts
I put these traditional mouse traps in my garage. Load them with gooey tootsie rolls that you mold around the copper tab. They can't lick it off like peanut butter, instead, they try to bite it off and it's lights out! You can use the same tootsie roll over again since they don't get the chance to eat it. God the family of 4 in one night!

· Registered
137 Posts
Cloths dryer sheets, peppermint concentrate, Irish Spring Soap shavings has work for me. They don't like the smell. Set the Irish Spring in a small tuna can or something, it will melt and make a mess if you don't.

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,484 Posts
Lots of mice activity at this time of year. I just had my pest control company renew the poison.....Going commercial always better than DIY as they are allowed stronger poisons than you and I.

· Registered
2007 EX 4WD
429 Posts
Lots of mice activity at this time of year. I just had my pest control company renew the poison.....Going commercial always better than DIY as they are allowed stronger poisons than you and I.
I have good success with snap traps. Poisons unfortunately kill lots of other good animals like hawks and owls. They eat the mice that have the poisons in their systems.

· Registered
166 Posts
That looks like it could be material from a seat cushion. I have started using a mixture of Peppermint oil and Cinnamon oil as a detergent. I've read several places that rodents don't like the smell. There is a product called "grandpa Gus's mouse repellent that also uses those two oils on calcium carbonate in a pouch. Beware of the ones that use this combination of oil on corn as a scent holder. Once the scent wears off, they eat the corn. Amazon sells peppermint spray by the gallon as well.

· Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to hear. I have had a 3 year battle and 2 cars with squirrels....actually it took so long that even though I think I took care of it, I'm still paranoid. First my 03 CRV - chewed through the headlight harness and the tubing for the windshield washers, fixed it myself then traded for a newer 2018 Sportage - oh yeah, they loved that one so much I had to bring it to the dealer because they made my brake, ABS, AWD sensors a smorgasbord - 3 times in one year (Costing about $1800-3k each time) - of course the insurance paid for it but I almost got dropped. Finally hired a critter trapper last April....so far so good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts