Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just f***edup. This morning I was wiring my Passport 8500 to the overhead lights and while I was screwing in the ground wire I accidently pierced the roof panel. Is there anything I can get to seal the hole as well as protect the paint from rust? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
riseboi said:
Okay, I just f***edup. This morning I was wiring my Passport 8500 to the overhead lights and while I was screwing in the ground wire I accidently pierced the roof panel. Is there anything I can get to seal the hole as well as protect the paint from rust? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Go to a body shop!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmmm.... Interesting....

I'm curious... what was the first word out of your mouth after it happened?

Body shop can fix this up pretty easy. Obviously you know that if you don't fix it correctly you'll have rust problems later on. The body shop will probably want to weld the hole and then buff and repaint. Something you can't do on your own unless you have proper equipment and know what your doing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
davejulien said:
Hmmmm.... Interesting....

I'm curious... what was the first word out of your mouth after it happened?
Well, I'll refrain from what I said but it was comparable to an episode of The Osbournes. J/K! It wasn't that bad. Anyways, I just a got a sealant to temporarily seal the hole until I can get it to a body shop that Tampa Hondaland recommended. Based on the size of the hole and from what the Honda and Pepboys people thought, it won't cost me an arm and a leg to fix my f***up. I'll keep my fingers crossed. And thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Screw it

If they want a lot of $$ just get a self sealing, self tapping screw and fix it yourself. If not self sealing use some marine silicone sealant under the head. I'm guessing it's from a drill bit? Shouldn't be that difficult. Besides it's on the roof and Paul Bunyan won't be buying it.

I just changed my oil and took out 6 qts go figure.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Screw it

lamuncha said:

I just changed my oil and took out 6 qts go figure.
You took OUT 6 quarts?!? Not good!!! Had you noticed any unusual vibrations or did the engine run rougher than usual?

(sorry for the thread drift)

·
Registered
152 Posts
What color is your Pilot? If your color is Starlight Silver Metallic, just use duct tape and it'll blend in perfectly.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Jewelry Place

I would recommend the Jewelry shop. Body shop going to make it worst.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My 2¢:

Get the smallest package you can buy of body filler (Duro or any brand). A little dab'll do ya. For all I know, these days you can get it pre-mixed in a tube. You don't even have to go to a special supply shop, unless you want to pump the guy for advice. You can get most basic body supplies in a good auto parts store (e.g., Pep Boys).

You probably want to depress the hole slightly so that there's enough compound on both sides once you sand it smooth. You want the compoud to basically form like a flush "rivet". Keep the work area as small as possible. A little 400 grit wet sanding, some touch-up paint, buff, and you're done. It will not rust or corrode.

Then, sell the Passport immediately and buy another Pilot. That makes it somebody else's hole. :D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Oh, man, colorider, sorry for such a long post

colorider said:
You took OUT 6 quarts?!? Not good!!! Had you noticed any unusual vibrations or did the engine run rougher than usual?

(sorry for the thread drift)
No, I'm glad you brought this up, actually. During my vacation, on the last day of the 7 while I ascending on an uphill road, I noticed my car vibrating, while not violently but still noticeably, right at the 60MPH mark when the RPM was right between about 1700 and 1900K. So, you kinda had to ease into the 60MPH mark, or speed up past it (with the RPM higher than that range) then let the car slow down to that speed. It didn't matter whether I was going downhill, uphill or even on flat roads, it happened durnig the whole time driving back home.

When it first happened, as soon as I found a level road, I immediately pulled over and checked the transmission fluid, the oil level and took a peek under the car. All seemed normal save for the oil level which was about higher than the highest mark. It was higher by about 3 or 4 times the diameter of the circles on the dipstick. Since I got an oil change three days before I left for the trip, I didn't even bother checking it. I guess I should've. I did let the car rest a bit before I checked the oil level to let all the oil come down to the pan.

The funny thing is, the next day in the city, I wasn't able to duplicate the vibration at all, but I still took it to the dealer the day after that and when I showed oil level to the mechanic [different person from the one who performed the oil change right before the trip and strangely enough, by this time the oil level had decreased to I'd say about twice the diameter of the said circle even though we let my Pilot rest in the bay for some time], he said not to worry about it and that I should be concerned if it was over by about an inch or so. I still asked if some of the oil didn't need to be drained and he said no need for where my oil level on the dipstick.

colorider, from your experience or knowledge, do you think that with the oil level where I described, was what caused the slight vibration in the car? Also, could there have been any oil leakage while the car was being driven and that's why there was a slight difference in the oil level (I did check my garage floor after it was parked overnight and there was nothing)? Would you have still asked to drain some of the oil out if the oil level on your Pilot was that high?

Truly sorry for all these question and a long post, colorider. Boy, by now, some of the people in here must be afraid to post/inquire anything technical for fears of me harrassing them with questions like this. But your question to lamuncha immediately popped into my eyes. N_Jay mentioned he experienced something similar when his "Check Engine" light and the VTM-4 light came on, but turned out he had a bad EGR valve and he's getting them replaced. No lights ever came on for me this whole time. Thanks in advance for your courtesy and time.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
krygny said:

Then, sell the Passport immediately and buy another Pilot. That makes it somebody else's hole. :D
I am guessing the passport will need to be installed in the next Pilot also.

·
Registered
241 Posts
6 quarts

I didn't notice anything unusual. I must have read the dipstick wrong because I remember adding a quart at some point and being surprised I had to.
As I recall there are two dents in the stick. Oil was at the lower of the two one day so I added a qt.
Are those two dents the oil operating range?
Then again maybe it's a magic car that is going to make me money.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Oh, man, colorider, sorry for such a long post

RipRocK said:

[snip]

colorider, from your experience or knowledge, do you think that with the oil level where I described, was what caused the slight vibration in the car? Also, could there have been any oil leakage while the car was being driven and that's why there was a slight difference in the oil level (I did check my garage floor after it was parked overnight and there was nothing)? Would you have still asked to drain some of the oil out if the oil level on your Pilot was that high?

Truly sorry for all these question and a long post, colorider. Boy, by now, some of the people in here must be afraid to post/inquire anything technical for fears of me harrassing them with questions like this. But your question to lamuncha immediately popped into my eyes. N_Jay mentioned he experienced something similar when his "Check Engine" light and the VTM-4 light came on, but turned out he had a bad EGR valve and he's getting them replaced. No lights ever came on for me this whole time. Thanks in advance for your courtesy and time.
I can only speculate - but the reason I brought it up was that this IS a problem on certain model Honda motorcycles (and perhaps others). It just stands to reason that it could happen on most any engine. Anytime you overfill a crankcase, you are inviting trouble.

On my ST1100 if the oil level is above the midpoint (recommended level) and the top of the sight-glass, there is noticeable vibration. This is on an engine that is known for it's smoothness (a V4).

HTH

:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Awesome thread drift! I've had trouble with both the local Toyota and the local Honda dealer way overfilling the oil during a change. I suspect they don't put their highest paid or most careful mechanics on this job. I also suspect they may set the oil delivery amount (they fill from a bulk container at both dealers) on a set number and use that for every car because it's faster than looking up the actual value for each engine. Check the oil when you leave the dealer and if it's not right, have them fix it. Too much oil can cause lots of problems with the emission systems among other things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts