Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing the Serpentine and Timing Belt on my wife's 2008 Odyssey (similar engine to my 2003 Pilot) and was beginning to put new parts on. I was reattaching the Engine Mount to the block and water pump when the bottom bolt (there are 3) just keeps turning. The top two bolts went in okay. When I backed it out to check it, out with it, clinging to the end of the bolt threads by some anti-seize, was a short bit of threads, hanging there like a spring.

What do I do now?1?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Test a longer bolt to see if you can grab any remaining threads. The alternative is to get a tap for the next size up with a corresponding new bolt of the same length. Clean up the hole of debris and tap new threads into the hole. Doesn’t have to be metric. For example if the bolt was a M6 move up to a M8

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I have to tap out the hole to a larger bolt size, do you have any suggestions as to how to fit a drill with bit down between the block and the opposing wheel well? It seems pretty cramped down there...

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
If I have to tap out the hole to a larger bolt size, do you have any suggestions as to how to fit a drill with bit down between the block and the opposing wheel well? It seems pretty cramped down there...
Best to run taps via hand power. Not knowing your exact situation I would try the simple stuff first. When my O2 sensor threads were damaged on a vehicle I was working on I used a Lang rethreader kit first to help clean up the threads or what threads were remaining. Next I used a tap of the correct size and was able to tighten the O2 sensor. Plan B was to go up a size.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've never had this problem myself, but I've got two friends who worked at garages and it's not an uncommon thing. It looks worse than it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I took off the mount and tried the bolt alone in the hole and found some threads of the far end of the hole, about 1/3 of the total threads. So, I went to Honda, but they were no help on a longer bolt. I went to Lowes and found a matching bolt that was a bit too long, so I got it, along with washers (standard hex head) and brought them home. After cutting about 10 mm off the end of the threads and filing the edge smooth, I tried it and was able to get some secure seating. The bolt was a bit too long to snug up to the mount so I am adding two additional washers to the one used to buffer the hex head. Fingers crossed....

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Well, I took off the mount and tried the bolt alone in the hole and found some threads of the far end of the hole, about 1/3 of the total threads. So, I went to Honda, but they were no help on a longer bolt. I went to Lowes and found a matching bolt that was a bit too long, so I got it, along with washers (standard hex head) and brought them home. After cutting about 10 mm off the end of the threads and filing the edge smooth, I tried it and was able to get some secure seating. The bolt was a bit too long to snug up to the mount so I am adding two additional washers to the one used to buffer the hex head. Fingers crossed....
That’s exactly what I would have done. Use some anti seize on that bolt and torque it just tight. If it bugs you order the correct length bolt online from McMaster or Grainger or even Amazon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to follow up...

The drilling/tapping or drilling/Helicoil (from another tread on another Oddysey forum) methods seemed better, but far more daunting, so I ended up purchasing a longer, same-size bolt after discovering that there were good, unused threads deeper in the block. (Thanks Aggrex!) The bolt was a standard hex bolt without the round shoulder, so I picked up several washers also. I cut the bolt down slightly and used washers to get to the correct depth, ran it in and tightened it up by feel to avoid over torqueing. I think there was about a third of the threads left in there, so hopefully that will do the job.

Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Just for additional reading on the subject for who ever may search this..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts