Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for confirmation of my diagnosis before I start buying parts.

Problem:
Key FOB and power lock switches no longer lock the driver's door. All the other doors lock from the FOB or the switch. The only way to lock the driver's door is to manually push the lock pin/plunger (you know the only way we used to lock car doors before power locks). It started out as intermittent but now whatever part it is has failed completely.

Based on what I've read so far here on the forum, it's the actuator in the driver's door. This seems like the only possible issue given the power locks for the other doors work fine and manually the driver's door work fine. Or could it be something else?

Thanks!
-Mike

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
I'm 99% sure it's your door lock actuator. When I bought my 04 Pilot last year, 3 of the 4 actuators didn't work. Previous owner didn't care and just used the key to open the front door each time, and would then reach through the cab to unlock the rear doors. I got aftermarket actuators on Amazon for around $15 each. The hardest part is going to be removing the door lock assembly from the inside of your door because the 3 screws that hold it to the door frame like to get seized due to corrosion and are very easy to strip out if you don't have the right size screwdriver bit and a lot of torque. Once you get the lock mechanism out, you have to carefully remove the old actuator from the mechanism, and put in the new one. It's very easy to break the fragile plastic tabs or get the gears and levers messed up, so take your time and watch some videos on how to do it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
If it’s not the actuator, another possibility is there is a break in the wire harness which runs from the cabin, through the rubber boot, to the driver’s side door. If you have a multimeter you could check if the actuator is receiving the correct voltages. Since you’d have to disassemble a portion of the door you’d want to have the actuator in hand in case replacement is necessary. So my advice would be order one which can be returned if the packaging is not opened.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
I just replaced my driver actuator. I think I posted pics too. Wasn't that long ago.
True, a good write up with helpful pics. Here it is...

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got side tracked by family obligation. Thanks for the link and the instructions. I purchased an aftermarket part that supposedly meets and exceeds OEM standards. It was only $11.99. Link to part

Installation was a little tricky due to the limited space.

Thanks everyone for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts