Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help diagnose the following flashing dash codes on my 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L? The AWD system doesn't seem to be engaging, the front wheels just slip in the snow and I cannot manually activate VTM-4 with the button in 1, 2, or R. Here is the video of the diagnostic blink codes:

Thank you

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Wow, you have more lights than my Christmas tree. ?

First thing I'd check is your battery and alternator.

Next, read your codes and post them.

And when was the last time you changed your VTM-4 fluid?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, you have more lights than my Christmas tree. ?

First thing I'd check is your battery and alternator.

Next, read your codes and post them.
Those other lights are only on because I jumped the pins to get the Honda Diagnostic blinking diagnostic codes, read by a number of blinks of the VTM-4 light but I can't figure out how to get the correct code based on the number of blinks. I think it is 17 "slow blinks" and 6 "fast blinks" but I'm unable to determine what code that is. The VTM-4 light, VSA light, ABS light, and TPMS light stay on full-time while driving.

I found this description but it's a bit confusing: https://www.clubrsx.com/threads/diy-srs-codes-and-reading-them.636707/

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Also not impossible that you've had an ABS sensor go bad, which fouls up the VTM-4 system.

Perhaps someone here is more adept than I at reading those epileptic lights.

Otherwise, can you get your hands on an OBD2 scanner or take your Pilot to one of those auto parts stores that read codes for free?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also not impossible that you've had an ABS sensor go bad, which fouls up the VTM-4 system.

Otherwise, can you get your hands on an OBD2 scanner or take your Pilot to one of those auto parts stores that read codes for free?
Unfortunately Honda diagnostic codes can't be ready by most OBDII scanners, especiay since there is no CEL (codes). I own three scanners and none of them pull any codes and Autozone didn't pick anything up with their tool either. AFAIK the only way to diagnose the Honda specific issues (ABS, VTM-4, etc) is the flashing dash code diagnostic system or paying a Honda dealership

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Another option that isn't too costly is an HDS cable as recommended by member @can .

In fact, digging around some of his threads, I came across the one below, which seems similar to your problem, and how he ended up fixing it. Maybe if he sees this thread he'll chime in and give you further specifics if you need them.

So it may very well end up being a defective ABS sensor.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/got-abs-vtm-4-and-the-dreaded-triangle.164444/#post-1621918

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Another option that isn't too costly is an HDS cable as recommended by member @can .

In fact, digging around some of his threads, I came across the one below, which seems similar to your problem, and how he ended up fixing it. Maybe if he sees this thread he'll chime in and give you further specifics if you need them.

So it may very well end up being a defective ABS sensor.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/got-abs-vtm-4-and-the-dreaded-triangle.164444/#post-1621918
Interesting, I'll do some more research on that cable and how it may help. Thanks for tagging them hopefully they chime in

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
LOL, yeah I'm just the night shift guy. The real pros come in with the day shift. ?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My eyes started hurting before I could could the flashes, but it does feel like one of those 83 or 84 codes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone help diagnose the following flashing dash codes on my 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L? The AWD system doesn't seem to be engaging, the front wheels just slip in the snow and I cannot manually activate VTM-4 with the button in 1, 2, or R. Here is the video of the diagnostic blink codes:

Thank you
I had the same VTM and VSA error codes few months after my used car warrantee ran out. I read forums where people spend hundred of dollars changing parts they didn't need. I discovered that the Honda fault programming is pathetic. It is totally unreliable. Some reported it as ghost errors as they couldn't find anything wrong with the transmissions sensors etc. I decided to do a tune up since the last spark plug change was never done and I had 95,000 miles. I had the VTM and VSA error indicators displayed. The #1 spark plug was fouled and gap was only .027". Obviously a mechanic dropped the spark plug during the installation and bent it. Spark plugs made for Honda factory are gapped at .044", best gas mileage. Replacement plugs in the stores for these cars at gapped at .042". Spark plugs have nothing to do with transmission nor 4 wheel drive (VTM) yet after the tune up all errors went away. Next I cleaned the air filter. I started the car and would barely idle and I had the VTM (low gear 4 wheel Drive ) indicator error on again, VSA error off. I rechecked my work and found I forgot to plug in the electrical connector on the air filter. Car now ran fine and VTM error has never come back on the last year, neither has the VSA. So much for Honda programming. Even an unplugged air filter connector can result in a VTM error!. A Honda mechanic later told me it seems to be a "catch all" for any little thing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Look on page 15-10 of the service manual for the codes and their meaning. Page 15-7, step 5 shows how to count them. You can get to the service manual at:

I was going to post the page pictures but Taptalk was acting weird. The service manual will guide you through troubleshooting each code too..

I would suggest the Foxwell NT520 for a code reader. I have not used it to communicate with the VTM module on the 06 Pilot, but it talks to the other computers (TPMS, etc) so I assume it will talk to VTM too.

Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts