Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Been lurking. Nice forum, lots of good advice, suggestions and what not.

Here is my dilemma, I live in New Hampshire and every dealer here seems to have it in their head that MSRP is the going price on the Honda Pilot no matter how you slice it. I refuse to pay MSRP and have found several deals below that in the Boston area.

I am willing to travel throughout New England, and pushing into the New York / Jersey area. Can anyone give me any tips of dealers that are quoting well below MSRP in these areas... I'm talking less then $29,000 on an EXL as I already have found $500 above invoice plus payment of my first months loan payment on the car... so quite close to dealer invoice.... problem it is just a bit too far for me to drive roughly 10-12 hours... but I will if I have to, just would rather not.

I appreciate the help!

B.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Brutus,

Are you a Costco member? I see there's a warehouse in Nashua, and several in Massachusetts. They have an excellent no-hassle, no-haggle auto-buying service. Go to www.costco.com, and click on "services" for more info, or you can go right to www.costcoauto.com.

We bought our Camry this way and I truly believe there's no way I could have negotiated the low price we were quoted and ended up paying. We tried to go the same route with the Pilot, but the web site said there were no affiliated dealers offering the Pilot in our area at the time.

For the record, I am not a Costco employee; I'm just a satisfied customer of 20 years.

Good luck!
Dan

·
Registered
483 Posts
Brutus, $500 over invoice plus first month payment is the lowest that I have heard of. The problem is supply in demand, the Pilots are sold as soon as they hit the lot (at least in this area) and the dealers dont have to discount them that much. Have you tried to get a price from carsdirect.com, I have heard the prices there can be pretty good although I dont know of anyone that has actually taken delivery from them, best of luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have not tried Costco... I believe this will just take local dealers and basically quote retail on this product in our area.

As it stands, I might just have to fly out to the dealer and drive back... heck I could even have it shipped to me and still easily be $2000 less then the dealers in NH.

I just rather have an easier time to get one a bit closer. I hope someone has experienced some good prices closer to my neck of the woods.

B.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My experience has been that your Pilot buying experience is totally based on your local geography. If your local economy is real bad or you are in an area where Hondas aren't as popular, then the dealers will cut you a nice deal. Otherwise, you'll need to saddle up for a long distance delivery (Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.).

In the NE region, sounds like $1,000 off would be a good deal, because the tri-state area (NY, CT, NJ), is still MRSP to $500 off for most.

In the mid-atlantic, sound like $1500 off is more of the good deal to shoot for.

If you are looking for invoice plus a few hundy, you're going to have to drive/fly to get it, or have it shipped.

·
Registered
305 Posts
carsdirect

tonywrc - haven't checked since we bought our Pilot last month, but when I did check carsdirect, they had the EX-L priced $1,000 OVER MSRP!! That's the first time I ever saw that on their site. OH well.

EDIT: OH! Just checked it again. Make that $2K over sticker!!!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Edmunds.com shows the Total Market Value (TMV) as MSRP with no shipping charge, which translates into $500 under sticker.

Koons Honda in Manassas, VA has a $2995 Adjusted Market Value add-on sticker on Pilots. I don't know what they'd actually sell one for. They had $1995 add-on stickers on Hybrids, but were advertising them for $2000 off MSRP, so who knows.

·
Registered
483 Posts
slider71 said:
My experience has been that your Pilot buying experience is totally based on your local geography. If your local economy is real bad or you are in an area where Hondas aren't as popular, then the dealers will cut you a nice deal. Otherwise, you'll need to saddle up for a long distance delivery (Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.).

In the NE region, sounds like $1,000 off would be a good deal, because the tri-state area (NY, CT, NJ), is still MRSP to $500 off for most.

In the mid-atlantic, sound like $1500 off is more of the good deal to shoot for.

If you are looking for invoice plus a few hundy, you're going to have to drive/fly to get it, or have it shipped.
You hit the nail on the head, its all about supply in demand, if the dealerships are selling the Pilots as soon as they are delivered, they will not sell it at $500 over invoice to you when they know they can sell it to the next guy for more money. The only time they will discount their inventory is when the cars are sitting on their lot and they want to get rid of them.

One thing that could help, I dont know if its the same in your area but speaking for the SF Bayarea is possibly buying thru the fleet dept. , usally you have to be a Costco member or belong to a credit union to go that route, its worth checking out though, you usally can save a few more dollars that way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do I find out more about this Fleet thing? I do belong to a Credit Union but have never heard anything about buying through Fleet Sales?

Thanks,
B.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Fleet Dept.

Brutus said:
how do I find out more about this Fleet thing? I do belong to a Credit Union but have never heard anything about buying through Fleet Sales?

Thanks,
B.
On your next visit to a dealership, just ask them if they have a fleet dept. and if they do, how do you qualify to use them. Another thing that is big out here (SF Bayarea) is the internet dept. , most if not all dealerships out here have them, this can be a useful tool to use as this can save you time from actually having to visit each dealership in person, you can cover more ground this way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have contacted so many internet managers it is not even funny... the absolute best price I have found is $1000 under MSRP.... I am now going to try to go to a few dealerships for that end of the month middle of the week thing and see if they will work with me for $1000 over invoice... I think this might be effective as it is far more serious then through the internet.

Anyone else got any ideas?

B.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) the demand for the pilot is so great that they are selling it at msrp, my pilot was made/assembled 20 days before I actually purchased the car. that is how brisk they are rolling these vehicles. good luck in your purchase hope you get the bargain you were looking for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brutus - Call Tom Baringer at Park Honda in Akron, Ohio. He should be well under $2000 off MSRP and will arrange shipping to NH. Although we picked our Pilot up, I worked the deal with Tom in less than 20 minutes over one email and a phone call.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah trying Tom... still has not replied back to my email... been a few days.. but figure he migth be out... dunno.

B.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Brutus,

If you're willing to travel to Florida you might want to try Duval Honda in Jacksonville. I picked up my sagebrush EX-L this past Memorial Day for MSRP-$2000. So after TT&T I still got it for less than MSRP. Considering it was one of only two that were left I was satisfied with the buy.

Riseboi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got mine for 2,000 off MSRP in Feb and my friend got the same deal last month at Fair Honda in danbury ct. They have an internet sales desk. I little negotiating should get this deal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
michaell said:
Got mine for 2,000 off MSRP in Feb and my friend got the same deal last month at Fair Honda in danbury ct. They have an internet sales desk. I little negotiating should get this deal
Sweet!... That is really feasible for me to go to Fair Honda!... who was the gentleman that you guys dealt with?

B.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
riseboi said:
Brutus,

If you're willing to travel to Florida you might want to try Duval Honda in Jacksonville. I picked up my sagebrush EX-L this past Memorial Day for MSRP-$2000. So after TT&T I still got it for less than MSRP. Considering it was one of only two that were left I was satisfied with the buy.

Riseboi
I am in the Jacksonville area, and I saw an ad that Duval Honda ran last weekend for 0% for 60 months on all new and used cars, plus all scheduled maintenance for the first 36K miles for free :eek: . They did not show a picture of the Pilot though so I am not sure that it was included in the promotion. My wife and I want a Pilot, but we are waiting for the 2004, otherwise we might have gotten one last weekend.

Did you get this deal like they advertised?

Who was your salesman? Bob M. We bought our CR-V from him in 2001. He was great.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts