·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently looking at
2019 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
Just shy of 39k miles
Asking $34,848

I think my current goal is to get the rest of the windows tinted with a sunshade strip on the windshield and get the tow package added.

Its bench in the middle . Are my requests reasonable? Are there other things I should negotiate ?

• EXTERIOR:
    White
  • DRIVETRAIN:
    AWD
  • TRANSMISSION:
    9-Speed Automatic
  • INTERIOR:
    Black
  • ENGINE:
    3.5L V6 24V SOHC i-VTEC
  • FUEL EFFICIENCY:
    19 CITY / 26 HWY
  • MILEAGE

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
How's the price on Cargurus.com?
Great, good or fair?

Based on my understanding used car prices are up right now due to Covid impacting production of new vehicles but she's pretty and I'm sure we'll serve you well.

2 issues come to mind with the '19s.
Radio harness and Transmission

They upgraded the software and hardware for the '19 transmission so it's better than previous years but you'll want to drive it to be sure.
Have you done a 20+mile test drive?

I'm not sure how to check the radio but connect to blue tooth during your test drive and make sure you don't hear anything odd.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's the price on Cargurus.com?
Great, good or fair?

Based on my understanding used car prices are up right now due to Covid impacting production of new vehicles but she's pretty and I'm sure we'll serve you well.

2 issues come to mind with the '19s.
Radio harness and Transmission

They upgraded the software and hardware for the '19 transmission so it's better than previous years but you'll want to drive it to be sure.
Have you done a 20+mile test drive?

I'm not sure how to check the radio but connect to blue tooth during your test drive and make sure you don't hear anything odd.

Good luck
Can you explain a 20+ mile test or just make sure I drive it farther than 20miles ?
Is the tranny concern remedied in the 2020?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
Can you explain a 20+ mile test or just make sure I drive it farther than 20miles ?
Is the tranny concern remedied in the 2020?
I would suggest taking it on an extended test drive whatever mileage and time you're comfortable with but make sure you do plenty of stop and go driving and a little highway. You should notice any jitters or thumps, and if you do, you can request an extended warranty on the transmission when you purchase.

Sometimes a software update and fresh fluid solve the issues but just to be sure you know what you're getting into.

I've bought some used cars where the dealership only wants to do a 5 minutes loop. You're buying so take the sales guy for a ride or tell him you'll be back in an hour. No one will notice any miles you put on with 39k on it.

I believe it's the exact same tranny in 2020.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I bought my 17 touring with 32k miles. The tire tread was so low around 45k nobody would rotate them. U might want to check the tires and/or see if the dealer can get you a good deal on new ones.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
I bought my 17 touring with 32k miles. The tire tread was so low around 45k nobody would rotate them. U might want to check the tires and/or see if the dealer can get you a good deal on new ones.
Great point, on the factory continental tires 35k miles is probably pretty close to end of life. Definitely make sure it's got fresh tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tires are new. I’m pretty sure the price is good.
What kind of success is likely with getting a tow package and added tint ?

I’ve only haggled minimally in my life 😅 but I did get what I wanted the last time .

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,594 Posts
There shouldn't be anything wrong with a car that new with that few miles on it. Also there is very little maintenance that should have been done at this point, but I'd still check the Carfax. Take it for a test drive, floor it and make sure everything sounds/smells right. It seems to be a decent price given the current market. Ultimately the only way to determine whether it's a good deal is if you're willing to pay for it.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,336 Posts
I looked at the dealer website.
Being Honda certified saves you from buying any kind of extended warranty. The tread on the tires do look very skinny and thin-due for replacement. They carefully shoot a picture of the drivers seat without the side bolster. Its a lease return that went through an auction... No service records. Ask dealer for specific details of the work they did to prepare the car for resale. No mention of brake replacement. How do the pads look?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at the dealer website.
Being Honda certified saves you from buying any kind of extended warranty. The tread on the tires do look very skinny and thin-due for replacement. They carefully shoot a picture of the drivers seat without the side bolster. Its a lease return that went through an auction... No service records. Ask dealer for specific details of the work they did to prepare the car for resale. No mention of brake replacement. How do the pads look?
Thanks! I think the tires have since been replaced because I'm pretty sure they were brand new yesterday. I drove the EX-L from the same dealer which is 6k cheaper but I also drove 100 other vehicles this week it seems so I'm going to make a list of things I need to address with them. Thanks. I'm feeling a little bit of pressure to buy sooner rather than later but just keep reminding myself that I can find another if this one sells.

What is a side bolster?

·
Administrator
16,336 Posts
Thats the edge of the seat. Its frequently a little squished as people slide across rather than over it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats the edge of the seat. Its frequently a little squished as people slide across rather than over it.
I'll be honest and say I'm not even sure how to address that :ROFLMAO: I'll look at it carefully when I return.

How did you discover it was a lease that went to auction?!

·
Administrator
16,336 Posts
In the History section of the dealer listing. Autocheck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not sure if you're at the top of your budget, but you can get a 2021 Touring for about $4k more and have factory warranty and no history to worry about. I'm not pulling this out of thin air -- here's proof.

Normally used cars are a good idea. With this market, the gap is closing and it's no longer as clear a decision. I've even seen examples of people selling cars they bought new for more than they paid because the used car market is completely insane right now.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
Not sure if you're at the top of your budget, but you can get a 2021 Touring for about $4k more and have factory warranty and no history to worry about. I'm not pulling this out of thin air -- here's proof.

Normally used cars are a good idea. With this market, the gap is closing and it's no longer as clear a decision. I've even seen examples of people selling cars they bought new for more than they paid because the used car market is completely insane right now.
This is a great point.

And usually the interest rate is better on a new car too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts