Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an 04 pilot and I didn't check the transmission fluid before handhand. When I did check it, I noticed particles in the fluid and slight burnt smell. 167k and I don't know the previous maintence history. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I just bought an 04 pilot and I didn't check the transmission fluid before handhand. When I did check it, I noticed particles in the fluid and slight burnt smell. What should I do?
In the fluid or on the magnet ? Typically with these tranny's You will see metal particles on the magnet. I rarely see them on the dipstick...BUT if you see a quite a bit ..different story.. swap the fluid I would do the 3 time change since you don't know the history.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the fluid or on the magnet ? Typically with these tranny's You will see metal particles on the magnet. I rarely see them on the dipstick...BUT if you see a quite a bit ..different story.. swap the fluid I would do the 3 time change since you don't know the history.

In the fluid. I haven't even check the magnet. I'm afraid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with Tahoefever ,start with changing the fluid and change it every few thousand miles until you start seeing the quality of the fluid improve. ( This is assuming that the transmission is working fine outside the quality of the fluid) Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
How many miles on the Pilot ?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
To add to what Rocky said might as well check and possibly change the engine and cabin air filters unless you know they were changed recently.

·
Registered
208 Posts
tranny fluid

A healthy fluids will have a pinkish/reddish color. Brownish indicates that fluid is turning bad--urgent replacement is needed. One time replacement is just replenishing its lost property. 2 times is replacing half of it. 3 times is about 75% and 4th is about 90% replacement (equivalent to flushing it. However, flushing by shops using special equipment is not recommended). Blackish is problematic! Here is a good explanation to this: In the process of doing its job, the transmission fluid can collect a considerable amount of debris. What can happen is that the acceleration can be affected and also gear shifting. The particles make it more difficult for the transmission fluid to work properly. It also needs to be remembered that the friction generated by the transmission is counterbalanced by the transmission fluid. When transmission fluid goes bad, it is not as easy to dissipate the heat being generated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updated per car fax transmission "flushed" at 55k. But no other flushing is mentioned and the car is currently at 166k.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with the others here drain fill repeate a few times until it’s a healthy color. Chances are it will smooth out and if it’s driving fine now I wouldn’t worry about it. Definitely do NOT flush it at a shop that’s asking for it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Since it's a 2004, you should have an external filter. I would encourage you to change it out. My 2003 had a somewhat similar service history on the transmission. Multiple drain-and-fills, and a new external filter, really improved shift quality. I used HONDA DW-1, many pilot owners on this forum like Valvoline Maxlife ATF. It's cheaper!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
STMech;1583653 said:
Your sure you're not referring to the Odyssey forums ? :roadtrip:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tahoe, not sure that I want to go down the "my oil is better" rabbit hole. My sense is that the Valvoline is popular, and I'm planning to use it for my next DF. Viscosity seems a little thinner than DW-1, and with winter coming, can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Tahoe, not sure that I want to go down the "my oil is better" rabbit hole. My sense is that the Valvoline is popular, and I'm planning to use it for my next DF. Viscosity seems a little thinner than DW-1, and with winter coming, can't hurt.

What I meant was that I rarely see any of the regular members use anything BUT OEM fluids here on this Forums .. However I have seen tons of members that have Odysseys prefer the aftermarket brands over the OEM due to mostly cost reasons. I have however myself am interested in the Valvoline idea BUT raises concerns on the density of the fluid vs any thermal breakdowns. Myself using oem fluids only has brought my pilots over 200k with no issues what soever. If an aftermarket product can prove to be a good quality to ensure no equipment failure due to fluid density then by all means I would switch too. Just the cost savings alone is awesome.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
What does Maxlife cost per quart? The Honda fluid at my dealer, who charges well over list for everything, is around $8 per quart. Even if it’s $10 per quart and the aftermarket fluid is half that it’s only a savings of $20 per drain and fill. I’m not seeing a significant savings going aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 05 pilot had the radiator fail a couple months ago. I ended up using about 20 quarts of the valvoline maxlife to flush. It seems to work well. Also if the 04 is similar to the 05 there is a paper filter that can be changed. I'd be curious to see if the shift solenoids have gunk in the screens like people have suggested. you might want to clean those out too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts