Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lived near Houston TX. Bought a new Pilot SE FWD in 2008. Essentially no one has 4WD/AWD there much.
Still got it, it's been great, 184K on it now.
In 2009 we moved from Houston area to Milwaukee WI area. I know, right?

I use specific forums for many things- never for my Pilot until I found and bought our second one!

I just purchased a 2015, 4WD, Trailer Towing, LX - 64,500mi! This one has never been in snow or salted roads!
PO/wife were snow birds and would take it to Yuma AZ every winter! There is ZERO corrosion anywhere!
I know, it's a 2015- but I'm talking ZERO anywhere!

We'll get used to no sun roof, no DVD player- kids are grown now, no power drivers seat, etc.
We'll manage.

I joined up when we got the second one a few days ago.

Looking forward to being a productive member, w/o getting in any pissing matches, ain't got time for that!

My other vehicle- well besides the 2 x Pilots, and my 2001 Dodge Dakota V8 Quad Cab (I wish they still made a truck like this!)- still have and drive that one too- 258K miles on original motor!,
Is a 2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000!!!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy the new to you Pilot and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Looking forward to being a productive member, w/o getting in any pissing matches, ain't got tie for that!
Well then, don't bring up the brand of tires, oil, or ATF and you might stay out of a fight. Lol

·
Registered
8,584 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,566 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is nothing wrong with the LX trim level . . . in my opinion that just means fewer things which can break.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello everyone again,
Today, I completed changing all Drive Train Fluids on the '15.
Oil- SuperTech Full syn 0-20
one drain and fill of the tranny- used Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Transfer case- Supertech Syn 75-140W. Bottle case states GL5
Rear diff. - Here I went with the Honda fluid- bought online, free shipping Amazon

I bought a pump that will work on the quarts and the gallon jugs.

All the fluids that came out looked really good.

I've now done 2x d/f on my 08 FWD ATF, w/ Maxlife ATF also.

Reactions: HardyZ and aggrex

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello again,
Great site, lots of great info, and some great minds!

Here is our garage, from the doorframe, and in front of the 08/Silver one is my 'other vehicle', my GSX-R1000! Until the serious part of winter here in Brewaukee, it still gets ridden several times a week.
Just thought I'd share...

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any particular reason that you chose the 75W-140 gear oil instead of the 75W-90?
Yes, well, only because the one the stated 'full synthetic' on the label! I figured it has to be OK I guess. So far, so good, he, he.
If you can change my mind that something bad may happen- I'll change it again.
LMK,
Todd

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, recently I installed heated seat covers, and also a OEM Key Fob controlled Remote starter on the 2015! So, now I've changed all the drive train fluids w/ a 1x d/f on the tranny. Fluid coming out looked good too on the 2015.

On the 08, I recently changed the front pads and bled the front brakes.
I had already done a 2 x d&f on the tranny about a week apart.- The first it's had since new- at ~184K. So I did one more d&f on the tranny, with none other than Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
Now 3x D&F's in the last few weeks on the 08! Good thing no real tranny issues, trying to avoid them like the plague.
I also replaced the faulty front dome switch, so the interior front lights work properly again.
It seems to still be running well, and better than the last few years!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Yes, well, only because the one the stated 'full synthetic' on the label! I figured it has to be OK I guess. So far, so good, he, he.
LMK,
Todd
Did none of the local stores have in stock a full synthetic 75W-90 gear oil by Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol,. Royal Purple, Lucas, Peak or even a store brand?

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Any particular reason that you chose the 75W-140 gear oil instead of the 75W-90?
LMK,
Todd
Well, page 245 of the Owner's Manual does say...

Always use Hypoid gear oil GL4 or
GL5 with a viscosity of SAE 90 or
80W-90, and have your dealer
replace the transfer assembly fluid.
Even if you do it yourself, I presume.

I used this a few years ago, a generic one from Walmart. I'm guessing it's made by one of the big players. Walmart doesn't brew its own.

So I did one more d&f on the tranny, with none other than Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
FTW!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Well, page 245 of the Owner's Manual does say...
Always use Hypoid gear oil GL4 or GL5 with a viscosity of SAE 90 or 80W-90, and have your dealer replace the transfer assembly fluid.

Even if you do it yourself, I presume.

I used this a few years ago, a generic one from Walmart. I'm guessing it's made by one of the big players. Walmart doesn't brew its own.

View attachment 141274

Are you looking in the owner's manual for a 2015 Pilot?
(See post #9.)

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Are you looking in the owner's manual for a 2015 Pilot?
(See post #9.)
OK, different year, almost the same happy juice.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha, Ha, this site is GREAT!

It was GL 4 or 5. It was Hypoid (Whatever) gear oil. It runs fine.

Oh, Wally World had other gear oils in the correct weight. None said synthetic on the label though. IIRC- any dino oil that has been modified certain ways can also be called 'synthetic'.
I just figured it was as good or better than the other stuff.

I WAS NOT going to shop around for gear oil, in a full time transfer case- no clutches in there, no limitied slip, etc. Right?

That transfer case on the '15 4WD is pretty much always working- with it's ~0.5 quarts of gear oil.
I think this stuff will work good enough- IIRC- it did say something on the bottle about being able to be used when it called for 75W-90? I cold be making that up though.
I'll look online.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, they didn't have this when I went near my home:

They did have this though, GL5 rating:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts