Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time poster here. Just bought my wife a dealer leftover 2019 Pilot Elite. We love it so far. I have three kids, but two wireless headphones. Using the plug in headset jack “isn’t cool” according to my kids, so I’m looking for a compatible IR headset. Anyone have any luck with aftermarket headsets?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 2019 Elite also, and my son has barely used the headphones. One set is still factory sealed. My experience from a lot of use in our Odyssey is the IR sets cut out sometimes depending on how their head is turned, if they lean too far forward or if something might be blocking signal. Maybe use that as a selling point to kids to use the wired set. And wired kid gets control of the remote! Your investment in a wired earbud set will be much less than another Honda set. I am curious to hear if others have had luck with aftermarket.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
Hello all, first time poster here. Just bought my wife a dealer leftover 2019 Pilot Elite. We love it so far. I have three kids, but two wireless headphones. Using the plug in headset jack “isn’t cool” according to my kids, so I’m looking for a compatible IR headset. Anyone have any luck with aftermarket headsets?

Thanks,
Gary
Additional headsets are a Honda accessory. 2016-2020 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR Headphone Unit 39580-TG7-A01 | Honda Auto Parts Warehouse

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m trying a cheap pair on eBay. Found a universal set for $12. I’ll report back whether I’m successful or not. I know that I was able to find Chrysler ones pretty cheap a few years ago when I turned in a lease.

·
Registered
438 Posts
IR headphones are universal (just like TV remotes). I have several aftermarket ones in use in my Odyssey RES and have had zero compatibility issues.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
IR headphones are universal (just like TV remotes). I have several aftermarket ones in use in my Odyssey RES and have had zero compatibility issues.
Pretty much but not always.

The IR infrared frequency can vary from headphone to headphone. Be sure you buy the right headphone using the right frequency range. Some private brand name headphones may be designed to only use a special frequency for “Special Compatibility”, however this means they are “Not compatible” with your vehicle. Some IR headphones only have one channel while others are two channels.

Channel A: 2.3MHz and 2.8MHz
Channel B: 3.2 MHz and 3.8MHz

These frequencies are the industry standard and your headrest DVD players and Flip Down monitors will use these same frequencies. Both factory and aftermarket.

My 2013 Honda Pilot headphones were Honda (39580-TZ5-A02) part number where as this is the part number for the comparable 2019 Pilots Honda (39580-TG7-A01)

To make sure of compatibility it would be good for the OP to make sure that the headset they purchase is dual channel instead of single channel.

·
Registered
438 Posts
👍
Some IR headphones only have one channel while others are two channels.

Channel A: 2.3MHz and 2.8MHz
Channel B: 3.2 MHz and 3.8MHz

These frequencies are the industry standard and your headrest DVD players and Flip Down monitors will use these same frequencies. Both factory and aftermarket.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,311 Posts
Radio shack used to be the go to place for extras, I found some for $35 on amazon for two. Hopefully thats cheap enough.

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a cheap pair on eBay and am quite happy with them. For $13, they are of similar sound quality to the stock Honda headphones. Thank you everyone for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts