Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came accross this site somewhere on Edmunds and have been looming around getting lots of useful information. I was "this close" to purchasing a Pilot last weekend but am having problems with the car I currently own in terms of getting rid of it. (I need to fix some damage before Honda returns it to the leasing company). At least the salesguy was upfront with me about advising me to fix it myself to save me some money. I was disappointed that I didn't pick up my new car but am happy that I finally know what automobile I will be driving for a long time to come. I had originally was looking to buy the LX because on paper there didn't seem to be much of a difference. The salesguy I was dealing w/ on the phone told me that I needed to actually see the cars because there was a big difference. I was skeptical, thinking he was just trying to push me into a more expensive ride, which he was ;) , but he was right. There was a huge difference to me in terms of exterior appearance and inside stuff. I will be leasing...wondering if anyone else does and what their terms were. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
WELCOME!!!

Hey Alexandra242628...

Good to see another Floridian on board!!

You're making a wise choice in the Pilot!! Have a particular color in mind? Afterall - THAT'S the important thing!! :D

Keep us posted!! :29:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My husband loves the blue but it apparently is difficult to get, at least that is what the salesguy said. I am cool with black, silver or white if those are available. My dealer had a silver and the dark green. Wasn't crazy about the green, thought I'd get sick of it after awhile. The whole process of buying a car is exhausting to me. When I phoned the internet sales guy I was working with to advise that I wanted the EX model but didn't want to come up w/ anymore out of pocket or pay much more per month, the price magically only went up $10 a month for the EX! That is why I am curious what other people are leasing the Pilot for. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
My husband loves the blue but it apparently is difficult to get, at least that is what the salesguy said. I am cool with black, silver or white if those are available. My dealer had a silver and the dark green. Wasn't crazy about the green, thought I'd get sick of it after awhile. The whole process of buying a car is exhausting to me. When I phoned the internet sales guy I was working with to advise that I wanted the EX model but didn't want to come up w/ anymore out of pocket or pay much more per month, the price magically only went up $10 a month for the EX! That is why I am curious what other people are leasing the Pilot for. Thanks for the welcome!
I have a friend over here too that wanted the Havasu & was told the same thing. So maybe some truth to that down here. Or maybe all over?

There are several threads on leasing. If you do a search for "lease" or "lease payment" you'll find 'em. Here's one...
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2691
and the others that come up have "drifted" to the subject.

Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, the reason is, the Havasu is discontinued. No more to be made, as I understand it. And it was more popular as a color choice than Honda had estimated, so it was somewhat understocked relative to other color choices to start with. The evergreen pearl is also discontinued, replaced by sagebrush, which seems to be very popular with those on the board that have purchased it.

haven't done a lease, so can't tell you what others are leasing for... just be sure to read the guidance on leasing from various sources, I think edmunds has something there. it's a good idea to understand the "basis" from which the lease is calculated, makes it easier to compare deals. It might be that depreciation as a percentage might be anticipated to be marginally less on an EX versus LX, so even though the initial basis is higher, the residual helps offset some of the additional depreciation.

Or you could just say, what the heck, for $10/month it's worth it and just sign on the dotted line! :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bigrob said:
Yeah, the reason is, the Havasu is discontinued. No more to be made, as I understand it. And it was more popular as a color choice than Honda had estimated, so it was somewhat understocked relative to other color choices to start with. The evergreen pearl is also discontinued, replaced by sagebrush, which seems to be very popular with those on the board that have purchased it.
Are you sure about the discontinued colors? We almosted ordered a Havasu Blue one and no one at the dealer mentioned anything about it or any other colors being discontinued mid-year, I would think Honda would wait until the model year change to start discontinuing colors.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am repeating what I was told by a dealer, they are discontinued colors (havasu and evergreen). Can't comment as to whether the full production run of those colors has been completed yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
I have the EX-L RES only added option were the rear mud flaps, Cargo tray, tire locks, and sentinel maintenance program. That includes roadside service, oil changes, etc. I pay 409 a month and i paid taxes upfrom for 48 mo. What are your terms?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the info Bigrob. Has anyone else heard about the discontinuation of colors? I'm just very curious.

As far as terms, we are buying not leasing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately (for me that is) I am dumping my Infiniti while I sill have around 9 payments less. This car is way to small for me and my 2 kids (5 and 10 months) and I am about 3,000 miles away from going over milage. I am super concerned about safety and am willing to eat up the cost of the payments to get me and my kids into a safer automobile. Can you believe my insurance costs will be less on the Pilot than the Infiniti? The agent told me that the Pilot is a safer car. I have $4,000 in payments left that need to be rolled over into my new lease. With that said for the EX the offer was $1,600 out of pocket, which includes tax, tag, etc. My payments would be $460 (15,000) and that would include rolling over the $4,000 that I owe. Not bad, not great...I expected to pay $450 for my next car but am cringing at the thought that I am paying for 2 cars at once. The longer I wait the cheaper it will be for me so I am giving one more payment to Infiniti which should lower my payment by about $20. Wish I could afford to buy but a $500-$600 a month payment is totally out of my budget!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome, Alexandra...

Hope you can work it all out. Glad to see another Piloteer in Broward. The vehicle IS awesome; I've had mine since June and I'm still lovin' it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Chief! I really live in Hollywood now but nobody ever knows where that is which is why I put Ft. Lauderdale. I was raised in Hollywood but moved to Ft. Lauderdale (Stirling Rd. I consider that Hollywood but my zip says otherwise!)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good luck with your plans and welcome aboard... sorry to hear about your Infiniti lease situation. I guess I ended up in the opposite position, buying one that had been leased. In general, they're great cars but have terrible depreciation.

Do you have a purchase option, and if so, how does it look for resale (i.e., where are you in your lease?) Might be better than eating the payments.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the problem BigRob - the depreciation. I have owned 3 Infinitis....GREAT cars. I have never had any problems with them and they run great. Problem is, they keep changing their line-up and stop making cars they put in for a couple of years. The I35 will no longer be made after this year, the G20 is gone so they do not hold their value. The salesguys thought about buying it out and trying to sell it but it isn't worth it. I owe about $16,000 on a 2001 and they are only selling for $14,000 on the lot! Terrible, terrible. Learned a lesson though. I now have realized that the resale value on a car is very important!

·
Registered
180 Posts
so any way you could wait it out, just finish out your lease? The timing might be good for getting your choice of '03 or '04 Pilot that way... and maybe a little better deal on the '03 if you go that way.

I think Infiniti is finally going to reverse the direction on the depreciation (too late to help you, unfortunately). I think the new G35s are going to hold their value pretty well. I think Infiniti's problem has been that they defined their target market for their vehicles too narrowly. Lexus carved out the hi-lux buyer, Acura carved out the performance buyer, and Infiniti carved out... the unconventional buyer? the Nissan trade-up buyer? the Elvis belt-buckle buyer? (remember the early Qs?) Oh well.

I have a Q45. great car... maybe a little too good. I want (need?) a more flexible vehicle that handles well in all weather for going to the ski slopes with a family. But I can't stand the thought of practically giving away my Q. I'm thinking of holding on, like FLAGUY, for next year's Pilot and possibly holding the Q for my daughter, who is 2 years from needing a car. The problem is, the Q is fairly expensive to run, might not be the best car for a teenager. Oh well.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Real reason? I just don't want the car anymore. That is it. As I mentioned above I have 2 small children that I cart around and don't feel very safe in my car which is about the size of a civic. Although it makes no financial sense whatsoever, I want to get out early. I am forcing myself to hold out at least one more payment before I trade it in. I know how I am though, I am surprised I didn't get rid of it last weekend! When are the 04's coming out? Sometime in the late Fall? I can't wait that long! :) Jeez, I think I might envy your teen who might be driving the Q!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Go and buy one! They're really cheap. You could get a '92 in very good condition for $6,000. Mine in is less than mint condition (hail damage I didn't get repaired) so it would be even less... which is why I can't see any reason to part with it.

The downside is operating costs. Get low mileage, run premium in it, and repairs tend to be expensive. But it does drive sweet.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No thanks...I'm "Infiniti-d out" I have had my share and am ready to move on to something new! Hopefully the "want" side of my brain will be overridden by the "need" side of my brain. This will prevent me from jumping in too soon. Doubt it though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts