Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I somehow managed to remove my first attempt at this post. I think editing it made it disappear. Oops!
I'm giving take 2 a try!
----------------
Hello Everyone, I'm excited to be a new Pilot owner & to have found this group!
We picked up a '17 Touring this past Saturday. We already have one multi-state road trip under our belt and are loving it!!!

The first owners had the hitch & wiring harness installed at the dealer (pics below). My understanding is that the only thing I need in order to bump up to the 5000lb. towing capacity is the ATF cooler. Is that correct?

The dealer closest to me quoted ~$520 for the ATF cooler installed. Does that sound about right?
When this is done, should/will the dealer change the sticker to reflect the updated towing capacity?

They can also install the brake controller at the same time for $55. Any suggestions for the best break controller options out there for the Pilot?

On a separate note, there are no crossbars installed. We're debating our options there. Any thoughts/suggestions on Honda crossbars vs. something like a Yakima roof rack which might be stronger? and/or give us the opportunity to go wider?

Hello again and thanks to everyone for your help!

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,322 Posts
Since you have a factory hitch, are you sure you don't already have a transmission cooler?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you have a factory hitch, are you sure you don't already have a transmission cooler?
That's a great point! The sales guy I was texting with before purchase sent the photo above and stated the 3500 lb. capacity, but I suspect he didn't look under the hood. I don't exactly know what I'm looking for, but will see if I can figure it out.

I have an appointment at the closest Honda dealer on Thursday to get one installed and also to have a brake controller put in... If I haven't figured it out on my own, I guess they'll let me know if there's already an ATF cooler in place!

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,322 Posts
That's a great point! The sales guy I was texting with before purchase sent the photo above and stated the 3500 lb. capacity, but I suspect he didn't look under the hood. I don't exactly know what I'm looking for, but will see if I can figure it out.

I have an appointment at the closest Honda dealer on Thursday to get one installed and also to have a brake controller put in... If I haven't figured it out on my own, I guess they'll let me know if there's already an ATF cooler in place!
This is a photo of my install on the 2017 EX-L I rebuilt. This should help you see if you have one.

Reactions: Lhormaza
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.