Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I somehow managed to remove my first attempt at this post. I think editing it made it disappear. Oops!
I'm giving take 2 a try!
----------------
Hello Everyone, I'm excited to be a new Pilot owner & to have found this group!
We picked up a '17 Touring this past Saturday. We already have one multi-state road trip under our belt and are loving it!!!

The first owners had the hitch & wiring harness installed at the dealer (pics below). My understanding is that the only thing I need in order to bump up to the 5000lb. towing capacity is the ATF cooler. Is that correct?

The dealer closest to me quoted ~$520 for the ATF cooler installed. Does that sound about right?
When this is done, should/will the dealer change the sticker to reflect the updated towing capacity?

They can also install the brake controller at the same time for $55. Any suggestions for the best break controller options out there for the Pilot?

On a separate note, there are no crossbars installed. We're debating our options there. Any thoughts/suggestions on Honda crossbars vs. something like a Yakima roof rack which might be stronger? and/or give us the opportunity to go wider?

Hello again and thanks to everyone for your help!

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Since you have a factory hitch, are you sure you don't already have a transmission cooler?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you have a factory hitch, are you sure you don't already have a transmission cooler?
That's a great point! The sales guy I was texting with before purchase sent the photo above and stated the 3500 lb. capacity, but I suspect he didn't look under the hood. I don't exactly know what I'm looking for, but will see if I can figure it out.

I have an appointment at the closest Honda dealer on Thursday to get one installed and also to have a brake controller put in... If I haven't figured it out on my own, I guess they'll let me know if there's already an ATF cooler in place!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...I guess I also assumed that if the dealer had installed the ATF cooler along with the hitch, they wouldn't have put on the sticker that listed the max weight as 3500 lbs, but it's worth checking!

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
That's a great point! The sales guy I was texting with before purchase sent the photo above and stated the 3500 lb. capacity, but I suspect he didn't look under the hood. I don't exactly know what I'm looking for, but will see if I can figure it out.

I have an appointment at the closest Honda dealer on Thursday to get one installed and also to have a brake controller put in... If I haven't figured it out on my own, I guess they'll let me know if there's already an ATF cooler in place!
This is a photo of my install on the 2017 EX-L I rebuilt. This should help you see if you have one.

Reactions: Lhormaza
1 - 6 of 6 Posts