Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
424 Posts
With 185k miles, your Pilot is overdue for a valve adjustment. The intake valves tend to get looser, but the exhaust valves tend to get tighter clearance with many miles. The intakes can be clicking as the exhaust valves are running hot and starting to burn.

Your best action at 185k is to do a valve adjustment soon. A burnt exhaust valve is much more expensive to repair.
yes I forgot the exhaust get tighter on these things. I'm used to my Honda bike where the valves all get loose at the same time. I concur with don't wait and do the adjustment.

· Registered
424 Posts
If you have no record of a timing belt change. look for a sticker on the cover, or inside the cover, a good mechanic fills them out with date and miles and sticks them on, they come with the good kits. If there is no sticker, get the belt and pump done ASAP too

· Registered
424 Posts
It actually might be a tensioner in very early stages.
Before doing valve adjustment just spend a time and listen where the sound comes from.
Does it go away when the engine heats up?
I don’t think you get 100% bullet proof tensioner with Aisin kit from Amazon. It looked much “lighter” to me in comparison to Honda original.
don't buy car parts from Amazon, you get counter fit way to often, I bought NGK Iridium sold and shipped by Amazon and they were fakes and nearly ruined my CRV engine. Rockauto or another reputable retailer only. Aisin kit from Amazon could be put together from questionable parts sources.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts