Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Pilot with 185k miles. Had the timing belt replaced about 45k miles ago.
this noise started not too long ago.
I thought maybe it needed a valve adjustment, but not sure.

Any guesses?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Sounds like mine did at 150k or so, until I had the valve lash adjusted. The clicky-clack was still there, but much quieter.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,124 Posts
Wouldn’t hurt to adjust valves. As said, not a timing belt tensioner problem. I’d be sure to replace valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals along with plenum and plenum/ intake gaskets if doing this job.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Question. Would this be something that I need to do asap, or can I wait a bit without risk of engine damage?
With 185k miles, your Pilot is overdue for a valve adjustment. The intake valves tend to get looser, but the exhaust valves tend to get tighter clearance with many miles. The intakes can be clicking as the exhaust valves are running hot and starting to burn.

Your best action at 185k is to do a valve adjustment soon. A burnt exhaust valve is much more expensive to repair.

·
Registered
393 Posts
With 185k miles, your Pilot is overdue for a valve adjustment. The intake valves tend to get looser, but the exhaust valves tend to get tighter clearance with many miles. The intakes can be clicking as the exhaust valves are running hot and starting to burn.

Your best action at 185k is to do a valve adjustment soon. A burnt exhaust valve is much more expensive to repair.
yes I forgot the exhaust get tighter on these things. I'm used to my Honda bike where the valves all get loose at the same time. I concur with don't wait and do the adjustment.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you have no record of a timing belt change. look for a sticker on the cover, or inside the cover, a good mechanic fills them out with date and miles and sticks them on, they come with the good kits. If there is no sticker, get the belt and pump done ASAP too

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have no record of a timing belt change. look for a sticker on the cover, or inside the cover, a good mechanic fills them out with date and miles and sticks them on, they come with the good kits. If there is no sticker, get the belt and pump done ASAP too
Had the timing belt changed at the dealer about 45k miles ago.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It actually might be a tensioner in very early stages.
Before doing valve adjustment just spend a time and listen where the sound comes from.
Does it go away when the engine heats up?
I don’t think you get 100% bullet proof tensioner with Aisin kit from Amazon. It looked much “lighter” to me in comparison to Honda original.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It actually might be a tensioner in very early stages.
Before doing valve adjustment just spend a time and listen where the sound comes from.
Does it go away when the engine heats up?
I don’t think you get 100% bullet proof tensioner with Aisin kit from Amazon. It looked much “lighter” to me in comparison to Honda original.
don't buy car parts from Amazon, you get counter fit way to often, I bought NGK Iridium sold and shipped by Amazon and they were fakes and nearly ruined my CRV engine. Rockauto or another reputable retailer only. Aisin kit from Amazon could be put together from questionable parts sources.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This ticking sound is <exactly> the same as how my 2008 Pilot sounds. I've had two different belt tensioner changes: one aftermarket alternate part, the other the OEM part. Neither made any difference to the sound. Although mine seems a bit louder. Following this. Video of mine below.

Honda 2008 Pilot Heavy Rotating Ticking Noise
Did you ever have the valves adjusted?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts