Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: :eek: I do not know if anyone out there think this is normal about the heating system. Every morning I turn on the heat within 3 second I heard an AC fan on. Don't know why, I mostly set the heat up 85 and sometime set to hi-auto and still heard AC fan on. Yesterday we went to Maine and stop by the rest area and found that water dripping like I just turn off an AC, but inside no AC on only heat we setup to 81 degree. Is this normal or something is not right?

SSL EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
166 Posts
What MODE do you have set (upper/lower/defrost vents)? My understanding is that with the system set to AUTO, and air directed towards the defrost, the A/C will be on (to remove moisture from the air).

This might explain things!

Ed F
H-Blue

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Toasty

Do you realy want the inside at 85, or do you feel it will get warmer faster if you do that.
My experiance is that it warms up just fine by setting the temp to the temp you actually want.
The Auto feature takes interior and exterior temperature in to account and decides when you need the AC on either to cool or just to dehumidify the air.
Works geat for me!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do all Pilots do the same???

Mine is same way,it doesn't matter what mode or what temperature is set,the A/C fan turns on everytime the Auto or Hi-Lo (flower sign-like)is pressed.I was worried when I first found out while waitting in line at BurgerKing,I noticed my headlight keep going dim then bright as if something like A/C compressor kicks in and out.Itried diffrent thing,way it would not change a thing.Now someone noticed same thing happens to his Pilot that makes 2 of us so far.You guys check yours to see if they do same or just ours.(turn off your audio system so you could hear better,or start the car,then press Auto,then step out side,listen to the engine 's revving,you will find out.Thanks guys.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess it is normal

:( I guess it is normal and how the Honda design. My friend Pilot does the same way. We here in the Northeast as for now we don't need A/C only Heating. But, every morning I start my Pilot turn on the Heat and there it goes the A/C fan kick on. By the time I got to my work place I see water dripping from the buttom of an engine just like you turn on an A/C during the summer.
Don't know why but I guess that the way they design to work with MicroFilter.

SS EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is normal for the A/C to kick in during defrosting n the Pilot as it speeds up the defrost process by dehumdifying the warm air.

I also have the same occurence in my Escape and Caravan.

BTW, running the A/C occasionally during the cold winter increases its life span.

·
Registered
288 Posts
YOU ALL SHOULD BE PROUD OF ME.GOT IT FIGURED!

I was kind a mad at the way the Pilot acted,I wanted heat and only heat why A/C turn on?It's crazy to have the A/C system running while hot air is what we need.It's not good for the engine,for the A/C,Altternator,belt,wasting free-on.This is bad design for Pilot.(none of my accords did this).I have owned and ofcourse driven different vehicles and none was like that.Don't get me wrong ,I do love Pilot,and that's why I'm frustrated when something goes wrong.Ok,that's enough crying,now I let you know what I have figured out to stop the A/C while heating.Set the temp,choose a mode,press up-down at the level you like,once the up-down button is pressed,the A/C will turn on automaticly even A/C button is not pressed,and the cold-hot knob is at heating zone.(bad design)Now you have the A/C running,press the A/C button,the display window have to say A/C off.That is it.Leave it like that ,next time you turn the car on,the A/C will stay off.Cool???

ALL PILOTS ARE SAME.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not to be conflicting, but it is a good design. While the A/C is on while running heat, it is not blowing cold air. It is taking care of the humidity in the hot air so that your windows dofog quicker or not at all. Not a design flaw, but a perk! Unless you like foggy windows!

·
Registered
185 Posts
A/C in Defrost Modes

Not at all unusual to aid defogging. Our 98 Mountaineer and the CRV I traded in did the same thing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
we all have different opinions,however...

I do agree with you that A/C kicks in while in defog mode is good and logic(for defrosting),but A/C kicking-in in all modes is bad.It should be on only if we want it tobe.You have it on defog mode everytime you want just the warm air?or Do you need the A/C on automaticly even your windows dont need to defog?To me the A/C button is for that purpose,press it to turn the A/C system on(with the green light indicades it 's on)If it's not pressed,should stay off.That's simple.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Different Opinions

Exactly why I never run in the full auto mode. I too long for the simpler days where I instead of the vehicle could decide whether to use the A/C to help with defogging. When I needed it, I used it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have the same problem
I play for weeks with my heating and A/C system. I believe I solve the mystery

1. Always we heard the A/C motor is engaging at startup right.. right.
Reason: your System is on Auto, to maintain the exact temperature selected, the system need to use the A/C and heat to keep it exact. This is why we see on cold weather the condensation drops from the heat inside the cabin and the cold outside.

Also we are using more gas.

Solution: Press the A/C Upper left button of the system control, immediately the screen shows A/C OFF, (you can feel it) then you control the heat temperature at you choice and is very accurate, I keep my on 69F on the city and 72 on Highways.

Do this with you engine idle, proceed and you will feel and heard the A/C turned off, is really an improvement on gas mileage.

works for me

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another reason for A/C in the winter...

Over time, the seals within the A/C system can dry-out. Running the A/C every month or so helps circulate the coolant/lubricant mix throughout the system, thereby preventing the seals from drying-out.

OTOH, I leave the A/C off, and only use it when I need the windows cleared quickly (still amounts to more than once a month, and I'm sure it helps a little on the MPG)

Ed F
Havasu Blue EX-L 5,500 happy miles

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It's a feature, not a defect.

Concerning the "engine reving while parked" problem:

The engine will rev slightly when the A/C is on and the vehicle is parked. The electric fan which cools the A/C radiator does not need to run constantly so the system cycles off and on to save power.
This does not use any extra Freon, unless you have a leak and then you'll lose Freon even with your car is turned off.

All vehicles with air conditioning will do this regardless of the brand or system sophistication, you just might not notice on hotter days when the system never gets a chance to turn off or on or on older models which still use belts to drive the radiator fan.

The auto-climate control in the Pilot (and probably all new Hondas) uses the A/C and heater to balance the temperature and keep the cabin humidity more comfortable. This is especially important when you use the re-circulate mode.

In fact, it works so well, I've even started running the A/C with the heater in my Jeep GC.

Our 2000 Accord did the same thing (A/C activated when switching to re-circulate mode) even without auto-climate control.

It's a simple matter to press the A/C off button when you don't want it on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No matter what mode

It doesn't matter what Mode I use. I still get the A/C Fan on. THERE IS NO A/C ON. We don't need A/C during the Winter.
No matter what Mode I use I heard A/C Fan on. REMEMBER NO A/C ON AND WHAT MODE I USED. But, why the A/C Fan on?

SS EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is for Haknuma59

Ok,Haknuman59,I myself felt same way you do right now,but like I said on the post reply above,just press that AC button and the Display window will say A/C off.That's it,and it will stay off.Use the system as you like,you could run the heater and Air-conditioner both at the same time(I myself don't)or you could have the heater on(only heater)when it's cold and A/C on(only A/C)when it's hot.People don't get it,when you press any Mode,press auto or Up-Down,the A/C is on,the Display window does not indicate that A/C is on.Press A/C button,then it will say A/C is off.Once it shows A/C off,whatever mode or whatever temp you set,A/C remains off.Hope you understand Haknuman59.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are right baoloclamdong

:D One of the issue is that there is no sign that said "A/C On" only A/C off. That is very bad no wonder I keep getting A/C when turn on the Heats because I don't know it was ON. I can only see the sign said A/C OFF never see sign that A/C ON on the temperature panel.

SS EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
262 Posts
Few things don't make sense to me:

1. If the outside temperature is below
the "set" climate temprature, why does the
climate controller need to use AC? Why not
just use the outside cool air to create the mix?

2. If A/C is used to lower to humidity while
the heater is used, how does the system know
when to turn the A/C off i.e. when is the humidity
low enough? I seriously doubt Pilot has a humidity
sensor

3. Other cars I am familiar with automatically
switch A/C on when windshield deforster/defogger
is used. This feature however is disabled when
outside temperature is below freezing -- the air humidity at this temperature is usually not a problem. This makes sense -- otherwise the condensate would probably freeze at the drain pipe. Why would Pilot be any different.

The way I expect the system to work (and I have
not seen it doing anything different, although
I really have not been watching)

A/C should kick in when the set climate temparture
is below (by some margine) the outside temperature,
or when defogger is used. It should not be on
otherwise. MHO only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
humidity senor

I agree the Pilot likely doesn't have a humidity sensor. however, the climate control likely has a computer chip that has an algorithm (like say the Nikon F5 camera..etc does) that takes into account ambient temperature and temperature control setting. It then decides about kicking in the A/C for a specified value of time.

In short all the answers seemed correct. Basically the AC is to be considered on all the time Unless you see "AC off". So if you don't want it on, just hit the AC button till it reads "AC off" and then set the temp..just as the previous post indicated. Also i agree that it's probably doing the AC more good by having it on to lubricate the seals which dry out easily in winter (although it minor effect on mileage). Also, i seriously doubt that having the AC on will cause premature belt wear etc...cars, esp Hondas etc are made with this in mind and i doubt you'll have the car long enough to find out if the wear was significant (ie the car should be fine for atleast 5-6 years).

Actually if you read the manual, you should turn ON the AC for about 10 minutes EVERY WEEK in Winter...while driving to keep the seals lubricated.

·
Registered
767 Posts
kruzo said:

3. Other cars I am familiar with automatically
switch A/C on when windshield deforster/defogger
is used. This feature however is disabled when
outside temperature is below freezing -- the air humidity at this temperature is usually not a problem. This makes sense -- otherwise the condensate would probably freeze at the drain pipe. Why would Pilot be any different.
What cars do this? I can only name one - my 1973 VW Superbeetle I drove in college. You should've seen me driving that thing with one hand and scraping the inside of the windshield with the other. Of course, it had no a/c.

The colder it gets, the MORE you need the compressor to run in order to keep the windows clear. And running the compressor is really what we're talking about here. Calling it air conditioning is only causing confusion.

It's true that the humidity in cold air is generally negligable, but that's outside. Here we're dealing with cold air in a confined space that's being super-humidified by the presence of organic matter (namely you and your passengers). That mist from your breath has to go somewhere. When that warm moist air hits cold glass the water will condense out of it and stick to the window. Without the compressor running you'll have trouble.

Modern a/c systems have very little affect on gas mileage anymore. Performance in an under-powered vehicle? - sure. But the Pilot has plenty of oomph to spare. As has already been said, letting the system run is good for it. Take it from a guy who just dropped almost $1000 to replace the compressor on his other car after not running it all last winter.

Trust your friendly Honda engineers. Let the system work as designed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts