Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question but here goes. I have had my Pilot (Taffeta White EX) since November and have not figured this out yet. When my heating and air conditioning is not in "full auto" and I have it set to 75 degrees should I expect it to blow 75 degree air out? I have not checked this with a temp gauge but it sure feels as if it gets hotter and colder as I pass through shade and sun as if it is still on "full auto" attempting to compensate for the outside temp differential. The manual is none too clear on the subject but my interpretation of what should happen is that when not on full auto it should blow air at the temperature at which it is set.

Secondly the manual indicates that when the rear air control is turned on that the rear temperature can be adjusted something like 9 degrees hotter or colder than what is set up front. This would correspond to 3 degrees per mark (on the rear air control dial). When I have the thermostat up front set to say 72 degrees (not in full auto mode) and my wife is in the back she has it cranked up to 3 notches warmer (81 degrees in theory). I notice a slight increase in temperature but nothing like 9 degrees. When the rear air control is turned on and the system is not in "full auto" the temp knob seems to have a minimal effect. Is there something wrong or have I just misunderstood how this thing is supposed to work?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi -

My understanding of "Full Auto" and "Auto" is this: They each blow the same air temperature when on the same temp setting, except that "Full Auto" decides fan speed and which vents (Mode) for you. If you are in "Full Auto" and adjust the fan speed or mode, you are automatically sent into the "Auto" setting.

Don't know about the temp settings, although it would make sense that the computer adjusts temp as well as speed.....

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by wolfgang666
Sorry, new to this. I created a new forum but meant to ask the question in this one. I did a search but could not find the answers to my questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might have to do some reading in old posts to figure it all out.

The AC trys to keep the air in the car (not the air from the vents) at the temp you set.

Full auto always says "FULL AUTO".
"AUTO" usually means you started at "FULL AUTO" and pressed one or more selection buttons.
E.G. If you push the fan speed button it will set the fan speed and leave all else on Auto.
if you push the "MODE" button you will select the vents and all else will be on Auto.
If you have pushed the Fan Speed and Mode, then those remain where you put them and the remaining controls are on Auto.
As for the rear control, it helps warm up or cool down the back, but with the amount of open space I doubt you could get any significant accuracy out of the three knotches.
It is not a big issue because the kids will say "I am sweating!" or "I am frezzing!", they never say " I want it 3 degrees warmer".

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think I read somewhere, maybe in the Owner's Manual, that the rear controls only function when the fron controls are in the manual mode.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
4603pba said:
I think I read somewhere, maybe in the Owner's Manual, that the rear controls only function when the front controls are in the manual mode.
Yes, the rear control has to be enabled from the front seat panel, but the front panel can be in any mode. Please see here for more explanation. :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
The AC is awesome

We just had our first few blistering hot days here and I can't believe how quick the AC gets the car comfortable.

I notice that when started in full auto, the recirculation mode is on. I guess that's like AC max. But I usually open all the windows for a minute just to get all the hot air out. The air inside is about 120 - 140° while the air outside is about 90°. Why make the AC work harder than it has to.

I notice that even before the temp in the car reaches the preset temp, the fan cycles high to low. I assume this is because the compressor is cycling as the pressure builds. So it's probably best for the system to use full auto whenever possible. The only time I don't use full auto is when I want to redirect the vents or I just want fresh air. What contortions you have to go through just to get plain outside air with no heat or AC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts