Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I searched for a thread on this and didn't find one, so if there is one out there, I apologize up front.

That being said...

Now that old man winter is starting to rear his ugly head, I am beginning to use my heater. Here's my question:

The vents below the radio...they aren't blowing out any air. Are they just for a/c? The side vents immediately beside the windows do blow out hot air, but not those middle ones.

And in the second row. Heat comes out of the very bottom of the console, but not out of the vents at the top. Again, are these just for a/c?

Sorry if this is in the manual, but I just don't have time to read through it right now to find out. I am getting ready to take my Pilot in for the 7,500 check up and wanted to point this out if it needs looking at. My left hand stays toasty, but my right one freezes until the entire car is warm, and it's getting jealous of lefty.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Vents

Here is what I found. You put your left foot in...

We did have some fun with this somewhere.

No really, the mode switch determines from which vent the air flows - in the front AND rear ducts.
The front side upper vents are always on and cannot be adjusted with the mode button.
Pushing the mode button repeatably gives various combinations or just floor, vent etc.
If the front is set to floor the rear follows, if to panel, or upper vents, the rear follows.
Full Auto lets the system decide where the air should flow from.

I think

Good Luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Automatic Climate Control

The automatic climate control mode is set in your Pilot. Click the 'Mode' button to select the different vents. If you really want to test out the capabilities of the A/C or Heater in Pilot, put the A/C on High or Low mode instead of some particular temperature.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I've always just used the AUTO mode, and keep it at 72 degrees. I'm going to get in there and play around with the controls since I have the day off.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
288 Posts
What a bout the fan???

I have owned and ofcourse,driven different vehicles but it seems like the Pilot is different from others when the heater is turned on,it sounds like the fan(cooling fan)starts running once the auto or Hi-lo button is pressed.Listent to the engine,it sounds like the A/C compressor kicking in and out(just sounds like it).All Pilots do this or just mine?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think that the reasoning the side vent blow is for assisting the side defrost vents. As far as the middle ones in the front and back, I know myself, when the heater is cranking out the heat, my contacts/eyes dry out instantly. So it is nice that the middle vents aren't active for that reason and maybe is the theory behind no air flowing out of them during heating.
And I think the A/C kicking on and off during heating is simply to reduce humidity and therefore fogging on the windows.

·
Registered
185 Posts
AC

Believe I read that AC cycles when air is directed towards defrost vents. This is similar to 97 CRV where if I remember correctly AC kicked on automatically when defrost mode was selected. [Having AC on does noticeably help keep windows unfogged in cool weather.]

I typically run auto [not full auto] and control the vent mode and fan speed manually. Combined heat/defrost vent mode and second fan speed seem to do just fine keeping windows unfrosted/unfogged now that cooler/cold weather has set in. Have yet to experiment to determine if hitting AC OFF switch will override the AC cycling in the heat/defrost vent mode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts