Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new here and I really like topics and comments. I have an 06 Honda Pilot. The heater core went out. Any advice on how to replace that myself? I do lots of DIYs, but never done the heater core before. If anyone knows what the steps are I will be more than gratefull.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
First, make sure it's not that infamous little heater control valve cleverly hidden, yet easily accessible, up near the firewall on the passenger side.

No heat at all through any of the front vents? Some people must suggest heater core, but before that hugely expensive and/or complicated job, check that heater valve near the firewall again very carefully. Among other things, make sure it's really off in the off position, so it really opens up when you turn it on.

Note: The last picture is from an MDX, so it's not the same cable angle as a Pilot.
2005 AC

2004 Pilot EX - Climate Control Issue

There's also a top-secret way to check for HVAC DTCs. See the PDF document below.

If you're sure it's the actual heater core, I've also attached the procedure I extracted from the 2006 Service Manual...

Post your results. (y)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it’s definitely the heater core. I saw lots of coolant under the floormat. Do you know how many hours it take?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
I haven't had the joy of having to replace the heater core, so I couldn't tell you how long that joy lasts.

But call around a couple of dealerships to get a ballpark estimate for the job, which if you ask would include how many book hours they would charge.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,969 Posts
It takes as long as it takes. Hard to guesstimate time if you have never done it before.

Never done heater core on a Honda but I have done a couple of American made vehicles. I suspect that it will be pretty much like the American mades in that you will have to pretty much pull the entire dash to get to the core. Once everything is out of the way, then it's pretty easy to replace.

Then come the fun of putting it all back together. Have a bunch of various color tapes, masking tape and a pen just in case you have to separate any electrical connectors, hoses etc. That way you can mark the two ends and get the right connector halves connected back together. It always sucks when you get all done and you turn on the radio only to have the blower motor start or change the fan speed on the heater control and the radio channel changes. 😆

·
Registered
6 Posts
Big. Big job. I did this on a 2003 several years ago. The heater core is an Achilles heel on these vehicles. Basically the entire dash has to be removed. I would say 16 hours, minimum, and contortionist experience. You will be sore after this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It takes as long as it takes. Hard to guesstimate time if you have never done it before.

Never done heater core on a Honda but I have done a couple of American made vehicles. I suspect that it will be pretty much like the American mades in that you will have to pretty much pull the entire dash to get to the core. Once everything is out of the way, then it's pretty easy to replace.

Then come the fun of putting it all back together. Have a bunch of various color tapes, masking tape and a pen just in case you have to separate any electrical connectors, hoses etc. That way you can mark the two ends and get the right connector halves connected back together. It always sucks when you get all done and you turn on the radio only to have the blower motor start or change the fan speed on the heater control and the radio channel changes. 😆
Appreciate the honest answer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts