Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Heater control

4K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  hop23 
#1 ·
When the car is cold and I set the heater control to “HI” and hit Auto the fan immediately runs up to max and blows cold air. If I set the control down 1 notch to 89, “Auto” proportionally cranks up the fan speed as the engine heats up.
Is this normal??

#3 ·
Yes that is normal. If you use a specified temp, the vehicle will not start to blow the air until it cools/warms. But if you put it on low/high, the vehicle will just start blowing......regardless of what temp. the air is. Actually, a really nice feature.

#5 ·
Do many of you actually use the full auto mode to heat and cool your Pilots???

#7 ·
Use Auto, but not always full

I like the Full auto, but sometimes hit th emode button to set the vents to Def/Feet for heat. The Auto seems to be Dash/Feet.

#9 ·
AC Funny!

If you press Full Auto.
Then,
Change the temp to "HI" or "LO" (non Auto Temp)
Chaneg the fan sped up or down (non-auto fan)
Chaneg the Mode (non-auto Vents)
Change the AC to on or off (non-auto AC)
The display still says Auto;
Auto what??:2:

#10 ·
Auto what

With the thing on auto (not full auto) and the AC off the auto guy magically changes air flow.
I dinked around, and with it set as above, moved the temp down from say 77 to 70. The auto guy changed the air flow from the floor to the dash vents (or maybe both) and probably bled in outside air.
So I guess there is some auto thing going on.

#11 ·
Re: AC Funny!

N_Jay said:
If you press Full Auto.
Then,
Change the temp to "HI" or "LO" (non Auto Temp)
Chaneg the fan sped up or down (non-auto fan)
Chaneg the Mode (non-auto Vents)
Change the AC to on or off (non-auto AC)
The display still says Auto;
Auto what??:2:
Well that was MY question. I've yet to figure this dang thing out. And NO - I haven't read the A/C part of the manual yet, fiogured...how hard could that be. What's the difference in Full Auto and Auto. Mine automatically starts with FULL AUTO when I turn the key. I've just been leaving it there and the fan speeds changes automatically. Guess I'll need to pull out the manual afterall. DRATS!

#12 ·
What I can tell

Full auto is FULL AUTO.
Everything is controled to get the temp you set.
As you hit the manual controls you lock that fuction on a manual setting. e.g. Fan speed, Mode (vent), AC on/off, etc.

My question is justthat it continues to say AUTO, aftre I have locked all the functions in manual, or am I missimng something?

#13 ·
Auto

I think your right, as you start deselecting things from full auto they are removed from that function.
Although with the air mode selected toward the floor, I reduced the temp and the air then flowed from the dash and became cooler by blending in more (cooler) outside air?????

#14 ·
I'm SO friggin' confused!! :confused: :13: :confused: :13:

#17 ·
No No No!

The dots are not food, they are a "bar code" like identifier that is used when being tracked by black helicopters!

On to a more serious topic.

Has anyone found anything they specifically do not like about just leaving it on Auto?

#18 ·
So

Now it's mouse jokes huh, kick me when I'm down and covered with acorns. I spent the weekend adding sheetmetal in the air intake. Say goodbye to a perfectly good cookie sheet.

The only beef I have with any full auto is the air conditioner coming on. Don't always need it to cool down. I usually use the full auto with the AC off, which isn't full auto anymore and here we go again.

#21 ·
Re: So

lamuncha said:

. I usually use the full auto with the AC off, which isn't full auto anymore and here we go again.

W H A T ? ? ? :19:

That's what I do... Are you telling me that FULL AUTO isn't A/C unless the A/C ON is on? Or A/C Off is on? Neither of those is visible when I rum FULL AUTO! Gawd! Is this making sense?

#22 ·
I'm goin' home and baking cookies. For some reason that really sounds good. ;)

#23 ·
I'm not that smart...

but I may have a possible answer. I think that Full Auto means the system attempts to maintain the temperature selected AND uses whatever modes it thinks it should. When you turn off the A/C or change other modes it still attempts to maintain the selected temperature (Auto) but does so using the modes you have selected. Therefore, I think Auto refers to ATOMATICALLY maintaining a preset temperature and FULL AUTO means maintaing a present temperature AND selecting the modes. It's the temperature thing that is in auto not which vents the air comes from.

#25 ·
I think the reason the AC comes on in full auto is because AC is a dehumidifier. That is why when you hit defrost the AC is automatically on. I know that air temp is impacted by the water content in the air.

I usually leave mine in full auto, or set it to blow on the flow and windshield. I think the HVAC works great in the Pilot. I wear contacts and it is one of the only cars that I can wear the contacts without my eyes drying out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.