Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally picked up my long awaited Pilot last night. Something about taking delivery on 9/11 doesn't seem right, although I can say I'm stimulating th economy.

On the drive home I immediately noticed two problems. The console arm rest is missing one of the rubber stops creating an annoying plastic on plastic clap. Sounds like an easy fix,

also, I noticed a metallic rattle that sounds very much like the heat shield over the muffler. When I parked I walked around to the muffler and gave it a liitle kick and sure enough, there was the rattle. Oddly enough, this morning when cold, it didn't do it. Says heat shield to me.

Anyone else have these little bugaboos?

·
Registered
920 Posts
You kicked the heat shield or the muffler??? What did you do to fix the noise???

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Buzz

There is a buzz or rattle that can be caused by the Throttle cable bracket on the left front shock tower.

Mine had it, and it sounded just like a heat shield rattle.
It was a 30 second fix.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was missing a rubber plug, found it on the floorboards, I couldnt get it in though, service had to use a little silicone to do the job.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just gave the exhaust tips a little kick and I could hear the rattle. Haven't had a chance to look under there yet, but it usually means tightening a bolt or bending the shield a little.

Will probably just compile a list (hopefully a small one) and take it to the dealer all at once if I don't end up fixing things myself.

I'll look around for the rubber bumper. Good idea.

So far, no scrunch, no suspension ticks, clicks or boings. But I do have the brake booster 'pssshht'. Will have to talk to them about that one.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Buzz

N_Jay said:
There is a buzz or rattle that can be caused by the Throttle cable bracket on the left front shock tower.

Mine had it, and it sounded just like a heat shield rattle.
It was a 30 second fix.
How did you fix it???

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The bracket needs to have 10mm of space between it and the body.
If you go to the MDX site and do a search for "throlle cable" you wiull hit a post with a picture.
There is also an NTHSA notice on the issue and fix for the MDX.

·
Registered
920 Posts
N_Jay said:
The bracket needs to have 10mm of space between it and the body.
If you go to the MDX site and do a search for "throlle cable" you wiull hit a post with a picture.
There is also an NTHSA notice on the issue and fix for the MDX.
My noise is clearly coming from the rear of the car...I don't think that this is the issue. But, I'll ck later today...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed my rattle

The muffler heat shield rattle was a simple fix. It was rubbing against the muffler and the chassis so a simple bend job in two places did the trick.

Also, thanks to whitepilot, I actually found the missing rubber plug under the passenger side floor mat when putting in the all-weather mats. Go figure.

All is well now- so far.:29:

·
Registered
307 Posts
cool I was able to help someone here, thats awesome! glad i could help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts