Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's on sale at Walmart, and on top of that, if you purchase a jug of oil and a Mobil1 filter you can submit your receipt for a $17 rebate. So my total DIY oil change cost $19. To the people who say its cheaper to have someone do it, in this case, it most certainly is not. I go back and forth whether it's worth my time but when deals like this come up, its hard to say no.
Hopefully this helps anyone looking for a good deal!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
So my total DIY oil change cost $19. To the people who say its cheaper to have someone do it, in this case, it most certainly is not. I go back and forth whether it's worth my time but when deals like this come up, its hard to say no.
Regardless of how you value your time, I'll pay someone else $10 to crawl under the car, change the oil and filter and dispose of them.

ocs.png

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regardless of how you value your time, I'll pay someone else $10 to crawl under the car, change the oil and filter and dispose of them.

View attachment 132992
I totally respect that. My mechanic charges $30 and the dealer near my house charges $79. Total rip off at the dealer. It's almost a little therapeutic for me to change the oil (when it's not blazing hot out) so I genuinely enjoy the process even if I don't save any money.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I totally respect that. My mechanic charges $30 and the dealer near my house charges $79. Total rip off at the dealer. It's almost a little therapeutic for me to change the oil (when it's not blazing hot out) so I genuinely enjoy the process even if I don't save any money.
I've done my share of oil changes on previous vehicles back when dealer service departments were only open Mon-Fri, closed at 5 PM and you had to leave your car there for service. When the dealers started offering express (while you wait) service, extended evening and/or weekend hours and discount coupons/specials for oil changes, I stopped doing them myself.

·
Banned
379 Posts

View attachment 132992
It's not worth it. Anyone you pay $10 to doesn't care how much he overtightens the bolt. They may not even change the oil at all! It's too easy not to do yourself. You're most likely getting the lowest grade oil they can find too, it's all about profit.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I also stopped changing my own oil. Previous Pilot has been dealer-serviced, my Toyota has been dealer-serviced, and so will my new '19 Pilot. Both dealers often have oil change specials. I too will pay what works to be about $10 above the price of oil/filter not to have to do it myself.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I enjoy doing it, even more so with the Fumoto valve installed. Also a simple skill I can teach my children so I usually have them help me.

My dad always used to change his own oil and he knows more about fixing cars than I ever will. He got tired of doing general maintenance so he doesn't do any of the fluid changes anymore, just brakes and easy repairs. He leaves more in depth repairs for someone else to do. He has earned the money and values his time more I guess.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
It's not worth it. Anyone you pay $10 to doesn't care how much he overtightens the bolt. They may not even change the oil at all! It's too easy not to do yourself. You're most likely getting the lowest grade oil they can find too, it's all about profit.
It's not $10 for an oil change.
My point was that some dealers will do an oil change for only about $10 over what the OP is paying for the oil and filter.

·
Banned
379 Posts
It's not $10 for an oil change.
My point was that some dealers will do an oil change for only about $10 over what the OP is paying for the oil and filter.
Yeah I was mostly kidding. My point was don't trust someone idiot to change your oil. You ever watch them? A friend once brought his car in to a jiffy type place and watched some 18 year old moron crank his pan bolt down like a tornado was coming lol. I'd just rather do it myself.

·
Registered
177 Posts

View attachment 132992
That's a pretty awesome deal, especially from a Honda dealer. Where I live the advertised special is $59 with fine print for an extra $15 for 5w-20 or 0w-20 which the Pilot requires. I'd be wary of the oil they use. Even though it's a dealer, they may not even be using a synthetic blend let alone a full synthetic. I'd rather buy it myself and do the work myself knowing that it's done correctly with the oil and filter I choose.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both cases are completely valid. I go back and forth between me doing it or having someone else do it. I usually buy the oil either way and then pay $20 to have them change it. The place near my house if you want Mobil1 high mileage and the filter to go along with it it's $79, but i can buy it myself so it's obviously much cheaper.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,946 Posts
There is one other aspect to taking the vehicle to the shop to have the oil changed which hasn’t been mentioned. Usually they perform an inspection of the vehicle which could uncover a problem you didn’t know about. I don’t have a lift, nor the desire to put the Pilot on jackstands every 5k miles, to inspect the underside components.
Then you can decide to fix it yourself or pay the mechanic.

Reactions: Tourist2012

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's on sale at Walmart, and on top of that, if you purchase a jug of oil and a Mobil1 filter you can submit your receipt for a $17 rebate. So my total DIY oil change cost $19. To the people who say its cheaper to have someone do it, in this case, it most certainly is not. I go back and forth whether it's worth my time but when deals like this come up, its hard to say no.
Hopefully this helps anyone looking for a good deal!
Thanks Jack Vogt. I’ll be by there this weekend to check this out. I have three Honda’s to do over the next couple of weeks. I have always done my own oil changes since my first Honda super 90 motorcycle at 15. In my part of the southeast the oil change pit is the last place a meth boy can get a job. I’ll crawl under a car for thirty minutes and do it myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve stopped changing my own as well. $20 labor only to change oil, filter and top off fluids. I bring my own oil and filter.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I bring my own oil and filter.
That's what I do when I have it done, usually timed to coincide with seasonal tire changeover and other stuff done all in one appointment. Occasionally, when necessary, or if nothing else is on the agenda, I'll do some of those jobs piecemeal now and then, but usually I can't be bothered. Bring my parts, hand them over and get a bunch of stuff done in one shot, just paying for labor, which usually adds up to less amalgamated that way anyway.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm cheap and change my own - honestly, it's at most 1 hr of my time once every 3-4 months. If you drive high-mileage cars the process becomes more of a ritual than anything else...

I was also taught by my Dad that the oil change is the easy part of the process - every 3-5k is the time you check for leaks, test the suspension components and examine the exhaust system (especially heat shields). I grew up in NYS and now live in Michigan so over the years I've added checking for rust-prone problems including loose/broken wires (especially grounds), brake lines and fuel lines.

Somebody mentioned that shops offer an inspection - true, but most smaller shops can't charge you $10 in labor and complete a full inspection during an oil change, and you're kidding yourself if you think they do. On the other hand, the dealer typically does try to do a full inspection (unless you ask them not to, and if you do they may charge you a lower rate - try it), and that's why you're paying $50-100 for a 15 min job - because they need the additional 45 min to inspect everything and shop rate is shop rate for the bean counters...

As an aside - my kids always ask why I hand wash the car at least 3-4 times per year. I tell them that I'm not just washing the car, more importantly, I'm inspecting the body and all of the associated parts like wheels, lights, tires, trim, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah I was mostly kidding. My point was don't trust someone idiot to change your oil. You ever watch them? A friend once brought his car in to a jiffy type place and watched some 18 year old moron crank his pan bolt down like a tornado was coming lol. I'd just rather do it myself.
That's why I've never used Jiffy Lube or other fast lube places. I quit changing the oil in our cars when I bought my '88 Toyota Supra in 1988. I could not get under it. I've let dealers do all the service and maintenance on my vehicles since. Never had a problem with them. For a few years after I bought my former 2001 Ford Explorer in 2002, the Ford dealer charged $19.99 for an oil change, tire rotation included, and then raised it to $29.99. It is more expensive now at the Honda dealer, but as I only change my oil once a year as I don't drive it that much and don't hit the 10,000 mile mark in a year, the cost doesn't bother me. My 2012 Pilot only has about 49,000 miles on it.

When we moved to Arizona in 2002, we had our 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, which my wife inherited when I bought the 2001 Ford Explorer, serviced at an independent European repair shop. Their oil change prices were always the highest as compared to the Ford and Honda dealer. That car had just around 75,000 miles on it when we donated it to a charity when my wife bought her 2018 Honda CR-V. The odometer had broken and I wasn't willing to pay the labor to remove the dashboard in order to have it fixed. The Honda dealer would not take a car in trade with a broken odometer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts