Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Heads Up!! New Issue...

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Hwyking 
#1 ·
Found this thread on the mdx sister site after I saw no posts on our site about it.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8241&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Recently started to hear a loud clicking noise when I first start the Pilot, roll forward, and press the brakes. Not talking about the click before I shift into gear, but a louder click or 2 after the car starts rolling and I hit the brakes. Usually happens on first starts or going back and forth as if paralell parking.

Not sure if it's the cooler weather, but according to the mdx site may be a combination of this and wear on the brake pads. (Close to hitting 11,000 miles w/ my Pilot) The wear creates a little play between the calipers and the pads which cause the clicking.

Apparently some have installed shims to remedy the situation, but according to Acura/Honda "this noise is normal and is a characteristic of Acura/Hondas" ... uh rrrriiiigggghhhhtttt!!!!

Will definitely have the dealer take a look on next visit. Anyone else experiencing this?

See less See more
#3 ·
2k3_nbp:

Thanks for the research on the MDX site and thanks for starting this thread. I have had the brake clicking for a couple of months and my Pilot only has 5500 miles on it. I had to see someone describe the exact same problem to differentiate it from all the other "noise" posts. The sound is definitely caused by free-play in the brake calipers and/or pads. I am hearing the sound mainly from the rear brakes, but I think it is occurring in the front as well. I would suggest that anyone who has this problem follow
2k3_nbp's link to the MDX site and save a copy of the posted work order from the Acura dealer for future warranty work on the problem.

-Newt
:1:

#4 ·
Big CR-V issue

This is a big issue with the 2002 CR-V.
Honda replaced my front pads for free (probably installed a shim) to fix this problem.
So far the click on the Pilot has been to soft to complain about.

#6 ·
Not to agree with Honda...

but isn't this almost by design?

I thought all calipers had a release spring, to pull the pads away from the rotor, thereby reducing drag. Obviously, in a perfect world, the rotors would never get warped (strong word, as the warping isn't so severe as to replace the rotor), but they are, and that's whats causing the clicking.

I know it ain't pleasant, and service techs can help prevent this through the use of a silencing agent (kind of a spongy glue), but I really think that this is what we're talking about.

Ed F
clickless

#7 ·
There is a fix for this clicking

Brought Pilot in to fix bad idler valve, but also reported the dreaded brake clicking.

See this link for explanation on the bad idler valve.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1880

Apparently they will order new pads and brake hardware kits to fix the click. They did install shims, but was notified that this is a temporary fix only. They'll call me when the parts come in. Gotta remember to have them tighten the brake pedal to hopefully remedy the side to side play as well. Anyway, end result is the Pilot is alot quieter now.

#8 ·
Re: There is a fix for this clicking

2k3_nbp said:
Brought Pilot in to fix bad idler valve, but also reported the dreaded brake clicking.

See this link for explanation on the bad idler valve.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1880

Apparently they will order new pads and brake hardware kits to fix the click. They did install shims, but was notified that this is a temporary fix only. They'll call me when the parts come in. Gotta remember to have them tighten the brake pedal to hopefully remedy the side to side play as well. Anyway, end result is the Pilot is alot quieter now.
Great to hear that your Pilot's being done right. Must be a huge relief for you. When you get your brakes fixed, can you please post the part number and also write what the invoice/work order said about the problem? If you can provide as much detail and information about the brake problem fix, I'm sure many of us in here would appreciate it, myself included, of course.

#10 ·
Re: There is a fix for this clicking

2k3_nbp said:

...Apparently they will order new pads and brake hardware kits to fix the click. They did install shims, but was notified that this is a temporary fix only. They'll call me when the parts come in. Gotta remember to have them tighten the brake pedal to hopefully remedy the side to side play as well. Anyway, end result is the Pilot is alot quieter now.

Brought it in to the dealer an here's the fix above. They're ordering the parts. According to the service rep this seems to be an issue w/ CRV's and Oddys as well. The shims quieted the brakes a bit but the rep said the replacement will eliminate the click.

#13 ·
I thought it was just my Pilot

I have this problem too :3: It's happened twice so far & my Pilot has 3,500+ miles on it. The 1st time I had no clue where the sound came from. The 2nd time it was A LOT worse & I almost ran a stop sign! The brakes didn't kick in until the knocking stopped, I also noticed vibration from the brake pedal when I was pressing on it so I knew that's where the problem was. I still have to take it in for my latest not starting issue so they might as well fix this problem as well :rolleyes: Thanks for the heads-up post & the other links. I missed those threads.

#14 ·
Re: I thought it was just my Pilot

Hwyking said:
...The 1st time I had no clue where the sound came from. The 2nd time it was A LOT worse & I almost ran a stop sign! The brakes didn't kick in until the knocking stopped, I also noticed vibration from the brake pedal when I was pressing on it so I knew that's where the problem was...
Hwyking, your description kinda sounds like the ABS kicking in. You weren't braking on a wet or loose surface were you?:confused:

#16 ·
Re: Re: Re: I thought it was just my Pilot

Hwyking said:

Not at all. I was going no more than 20mph because I was exiting a parking structure area.
What you describe is exactly like ABS with one wheel having very littel traction.

It is not at all like the "Brake Clunk" that people are havinmg issues with.

#17 ·
Re: Re: Re: I thought it was just my Pilot

Hwyking said:
Not at all. I was going no more than 20mph because I was exiting a parking structure area.
The ABS can turn on at any speed if wheel slip is detected while braking - wet pavement, gravel on pavement (especially one side), snow, ice, etc... I tested mine out a few weeks back on ice at only 10 or 15mph and the ABS activated.
Find an empty, wet road and try to make the ABS turn on - see if it feels the same as what you've already observed.

#19 ·
Hwyking said:
Why would the wheels not have any traction on a paved dry road though :confused: No snow/ice/rain (most of the time) here :) but there may be this weekend so I'll test it out in a empty parking lot.
No Idea;
I am not saying that you don't have a problem.
Just this if you do its a traction or ABS problem, not the "brake Clunk" problem.

#20 ·
Re: I thought it was just my Pilot

Hwyking,

I tend to agree with everyone who responded to your brake problem, it sounds more like the activation of the ABS. I had same experience when I was on a ski trip, looking for the rental home in pitch-darkness at night, missed the turn on a icy street, pushed the brake, and ABS kicked in, very loud continuious knocking and vibration of the brakes, finally the car made the complete stop. It was a scary feeling, at the time I thought the brake was failing.
I can't tell why your ABS was activating on a dry paved street.

The initial problem brought up by nighthawk in this thread, and I'm having the exact same problem, was a little different from yours. We both experience:

A. ONE, only one, loud metallic "clunk/click/knock" at each apply of the brake. And
B. it always happens for the 1st few times of applying the brake, then the problem goes away throughout the duration of the trip. And
C. after parked car for a while, especially parked with hand-brake engaged, in next drive the problem re-appeares for the 1st few times of applying the brake ...

Is this what happening to yours?

#21 ·
Re: Re: I thought it was just my Pilot

minliang_c said:

A. ONE, only one, loud metallic "clunk/click/knock" at each apply of the brake. And
B. it always happens for the 1st few times of applying the brake, then the problem goes away throughout the duration of the trip. And
C. after parked car for a while, especially parked with hand-brake engaged, in next drive the problem re-appeares for the 1st few times of applying the brake ...

Generaly you notice it with the first application of the brake after changing direction.
Seems worse when brakes are cold.
You are more likely to have changed direction afte a cost start, E.G. backing down the driveway, then clunk at first STOP sign.

#22 ·
minliang_c said:
A. No, multiple loud knocking sounds while holding the brake pedal close to the stop sign.
B. Never happens, only the 2 times I mentioned. When I finally came to a complete stop & went on my way it didn't happen again.
C. Never, not even once.

:werd: kinda the same problem but not really :confused:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.