Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have instructions for the removal of the headliner in a 2013 or 2nd Generation Pilot headliner? I don't need to replace mine, because it's in perfect condition, but I do need to see the bare metal underneath it. I've asked a custom rack installer to rivet Rhino RTS track installed in the roof ditch gutters, but have been warned that some SUVs have a folded metal joint directly below, which can make riveting them in problematic. If I could get a look at the underside of those gutters in a bare-metal interior photo it would be a great help. No reason to actually remove the headliner just to take a look if someone here already has a photo to examine. Alternatively, if anyone actually has headliner removal instructions, those would be a great help as well since Rhino Rack installers don't often see Hondas in their shops. Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe the answer to your question would come from looking on the outside and not the inside. The black plastic gutters, cover up the folded metal where your existing roof rack is bolted. Instead of going through all the trouble of removing your headliner which would include removing all of the trim pieces, why don't you just remove one of your OEM roof rack rails? It should give you an idea of what is underneath the plastic. I don't know if this video helps or not but It shows how to remove the roof rack rail.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Lasso --

Do a quick search in this forum for the workshop manual PDF shared here in the last year or so. It's for MY2012 but covers the series through MY2015. Six pages of removal instructions start at page 20-107.

There's SRS in the headliner for side impact and rollover, so use appropriate caution as you disassemble, and also as you strategize the placement and securing of the forward support you are working on. These may be the reason why Honda placed no support fasteners or inserts further forward in the roof. The front crossbar you need may have a supporting pad on each side to distribute load locally, and a strap and hook into a door opening to secure it in place.

There's a gap between roof airbags at the B-pillar IIRC, if that helps. The headliner replacement instruction includes a page-plus of details around airbag deployment, resulting damage, and what needs to be inspected/replaced. There's a whole protocol around airbag disarm and safety that will be essential reading too.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
to actually remove the headliner just to take a look if someone here already has a photo to examine. Alternatively, if anyone actually has headliner removal instructions, those would be a great help as well since Rhino Rack installers don't often see Hondas in their shops. Thanks. Nox Vidmate VLC
Lasso --

Do a quick search in this forum for the workshop manual PDF shared here in the last year or so. It's for MY2012 but covers the series through MY2015. Six pages of removal instructions start at page 20-107.
Don't know how I could have been clearer. The workshop manual has a detailed (down to the screws list) procedure in the described section. We can't legally share images of WSM pages in the forums, so the suggestion of where to look will have to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lasso --

There's SRS in the headliner for side impact and rollover, so use appropriate caution as you disassemble, and also as you strategize the placement and securing of the forward support you are working on. These may be the reason why Honda placed no support fasteners or inserts further forward in the roof. The front crossbar you need may have a supporting pad on each side to distribute load locally, and a strap and hook into a door opening to secure it in place.

There's a gap between roof airbags at the B-pillar IIRC, if that helps. The headliner replacement instruction includes a page-plus of details around airbag deployment, resulting damage, and what needs to be inspected/replaced. There's a whole protocol around airbag disarm and safety that will be essential reading too.
Lasso --

Thanks, Dr. Bob. I'll look for the shop manual you mentioned. Good tips to avoid SRS damage and deployment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know how I could have been clearer. The workshop manual has a detailed (down to the screws list) procedure in the described section. We can't legally share images of WSM pages in the forums, so the suggestion of where to look will have to do.
Dr. Bob, I was unable to find a copy of the 2012 service/maintenance manual on the site. Do you still have a PDF copy of it to share?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I have a pdf copy (purchased), that I can't share.

But... Search is your friend! Know that the 2012 manual was the last one published by Honda. It covers the cars through 2015.

Reactions: aloogatr

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I have a pdf copy (purchased), that I can't share.

But... Search is your friend! Know that the 2012 manual was the last one published by Honda. It covers the cars through 2015.

Me too (purchased) ... but where were you with this info a week ago .... BEFORE I just bought it....? Just kidding, but while I respect and don't mind paying for IP, now I'm wondering if this CD I just paid for is even a legal copy.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Me too (purchased) ... but where were you with this info a week ago .... BEFORE I just bought it....? Just kidding, but while I respect and don't mind paying for IP, now I'm wondering if this CD I just paid for is even a legal copy.
I was here the whole time. The info was here too. Info available using the search tool. I'm at a point where I can't remember even half the stuff I've forgotten. So I depend on the search tools sometimes to fill in the gaps.

I'm in the same spot with regard to respecting IP. More than a few folks have contacted me about problems they are having with software with my name on it. "I never offered or licensed or installed that package in your plant." Awkward pause. Maybe somebody thinks that, once something is copied to a CD or DVD it's should be in the public domain. Nothing could be further from the truth. In my case, each 'piracy' loss is worth about half of a nice house. The least I can do is honor the value of work somebody has done when they ask.

The ~~$30 for the official CD is chump change relative to the value it brings to me for my own car. Plus, it leads to helpful diagnostics and repair descriptions for other forum members when they ask. It doesn't take long at all to realize more than the $30 in value from having the manual on CD. Make the investment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts