Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Can't believe that I just joined several days ago and I am now posting a MAJOR problem !!! Last night, driving home in a Baltimore rainstorm, I noticed people flashing their headlights my way. Much to my chagrin, I then realized that my headlights were not on--nor could I turn them on !!!! I shut the engine--hoping to recycle the computers. Nothing. This morning, I checked it out again in the daylight---no headlights. My dealer is closed--and the Honda customer care number is unmanned over the weekend. I will bring the car to my dealer tomorrow and repost the final diagnosis.

Also--has anyone ever had their navigation system go dead ?? If you do not activate system in the first minute, you get a black screen--totally normal. However, touching any button should "bring it back to life." My system does not return to life every so often without an engine re-start. Dealer cannot find the reason.
Anybody else getting this problem ???

Thanks----carla.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
A major problem?

I would check the fuse first for the headlighs.

As for the NAV, make sure Honda knows about your issue, not just the dealer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Strange. The left and right headlights have their own relay/fuse circuit. The fuses are number 43 and 45 in the under hood fuse box according to the manual. Just one failing would be very rare and would indicate a short circuit type problem, both of them failing would be really odd. The dealer should be able to find the problem quickly since the lights don't work at all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bad ground?

Coincidentally, I had a similar experience this week. Mine affected the right headlamp only, both high and low beams. With the headlights on, there was a faint glow in the right bulb, but it did not cast a beam. The dealer traced it to a bad ground at G-401, which is on the left side of the dash (the switch is on the ground side of the circuit). I haven't analyzed the circuit so I can't explain why only one headlight was affected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. Had the car to the dealer on Monday. Yes--there are separate fuses for each headlight--strange--and they were fine. Turned out to be a faulty headlight activator switch--the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel. Dealer said they had never seen that before. Part arrived Tuesday, and now all is well.

Navigation issue still unresolved--Honda USA does not have an answer, either.

Still, the PILOT is the best looking, best value SUV on the market today. Sure, I have read other posts speaking about what the 2004 should have as standard features--and some ideas are great. But then again--will the PILOT remain the great value that it is today?

carla------- sagebrush pearl EX/ NAV

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Weird coincidence

I purchased Sylvania Silver Stars back in September. One- (1) of the low beams burned out during Thanksgiving, so I replaced it then. Last night, I turned on my headlights, and both low beams were burned out. The high beams were fine. I had to drive home with my high beams on. Luckily I had my original bulbs at home to replace the Silver Stars. They worked fine on low and high.

I find it odd that 2 bulbs purchased at different times would burn out the low beams at the same time. Not sure if it is the bulbs or short circuit. I talked to my Service Department today & they blamed it on the Silver Stars. They claimed that they are a great product, but they don't last very long. The outside temperature was only 34&#176F, but that may also be a factor with Silver Stars.

I called Sylvania, and they will replace them for me for FREE once I send the bulbs back.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Brighter bulbs, less life!

There is no free lunch.

I had one of my Philips +50% bulbs go out, abut thge other is fine.
These were put in in August I think, but had made 4 all night drives.

Cold weather will cause a bulb to fail a bit earlier than normal, but I do not call 34deg cold.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, here in Jawjaw we call 34 degrees cold! It doesn't get much colder down here.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Guess the point was;

If the bulb is about to go, it will go during a turn on, and the colder it is when turned on, the better the chance of it going.

You see a lot of "Pidditles" when we have a 10 Deg morning.:2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts