Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I will soon be taking over ownership of an 08 Pilot. One of the first things I would like to do is upgrade the headlights as they are pretty terrible. I tried searching on here but came up with a bunch of dead end posts and not a lot of clear cut answers about upgrading the bulbs. I'm looking at LED's I guess? I would like a BRIGHT white and something that is pretty easy to install.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
LED’s are god awful. Sure they change the color/temperature but they’re honestly worse than regular halogens. In my opinion do a cheap retrofit and use 4500K HID’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Are there any reputable sources to buy from? Before and after pictures or videos?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,256 Posts
Thanks for the info. Are there any reputable sources to buy from? Before and after pictures or videos?
Some folks like these.

Please take the time to aim them correctly and get the cutoff right. There are too many Light Emitting Douchebags blinding oncoming traffic in my area. :eek:

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Only use LED bulbs if you are using high quality. My experience with Supernova V3 is excellent so I'd highly recommend their new V4. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for. These are available from Headlight Revolution.

The best way to improve lighting is with a true projector retrofit. The Retrofit Source has all the parts and knowledge on their site.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,866 Posts
Personally I'm not impressed with LED headlight upgrades. If you look at vehicles that come with LED headlights, such as the new upper trim level Honda's, the headlights don't have replaceable bulbs. That is because LED's emit light in a different manner than a filament bulb. The LED headlights are designed and focused for the LED that is used in the light housing.

Housings for filament bulbs don't focus the light properly for the bulb, scattering light in all directions. You can easily tell most vehicles with retro fit LED headlights as the light scatters in all directions, thus the annoying light in the eyes issue.

Now if you're willing to spend the money for a full fixture upgrade that is a different matter, but they are expensive and far more complicated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking for something rather simple to install that isnt too expensive as I'm not too sure how long I will have the vehicle for. I'm looking for a pretty much plug and play. With the HID's do you need to buy separate hi and low kits? I thought the stock single bulbs controlled the hi and low?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Personally I'm not impressed with LED headlight upgrades. If you look at vehicles that come with LED headlights, such as the new upper trim level Honda's, the headlights don't have replaceable bulbs. That is because LED's emit light in a different manner than a filament bulb. The LED headlights are designed and focused for the LED that is used in the light housing.

Housings for filament bulbs don't focus the light properly for the bulb, scattering light in all directions. You can easily tell most vehicles with retro fit LED headlights as the light scatters in all directions, thus the annoying light in the eyes issue.

Now if you're willing to spend the money for a full fixture upgrade that is a different matter, but they are expensive and far more complicated.
I'm looking for something rather simple to install that isnt too expensive as I'm not too sure how long I will have the vehicle for. I'm looking for a pretty much plug and play. With the HID's do you need to buy separate hi and low kits? I thought the stock single bulbs controlled the hi and low?
Go on Youtube and look up Headlight Revolution LED bulb test... they did a test of 20+ bulbs from all different sources and you can see that when properly engineered, the bulbs can be a suitable replacement in a halogen fixture. But the cheap stuff on Amazon is just JUNK, truly the stuff that scatters light all over and blinds other drivers.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,866 Posts
Go on Youtube and look up Headlight Revolution LED bulb test... they did a test of 20+ bulbs from all different sources and you can see that when properly engineered, the bulbs can be a suitable replacement in a halogen fixture. But the cheap stuff on Amazon is just JUNK, truly the stuff that scatters light all over and blinds other drivers.
Which is the problem. The people that are willing to pay for the good stuff are usually the ones willing to pay for a vehicle that already has the the features. I have seen that vide when I was thinking about doing it to the 2013 Touring, and while the do a much better job, they still are not as good as proper LED projector headlight fixtures.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Which is the problem. The people that are willing to pay for the good stuff are usually the ones willing to pay for a vehicle that already has the the features. I have seen that vide when I was thinking about doing it to the 2013 Touring, and while the do a much better job, they still are not as good as proper LED projector headlight fixtures.
Agreed, which is why our Pilot has FX-R HID projectors retrofitted. It's well known that the HID aftermarket options outperform the LED aftermarket options still, but that gap closes every year.

The Traverse has a weird headlight shape and NOBODY has done a retrofit so I had no idea what would and wouldn't work. Went with the LED drop in bulbs after seeing that video and I can say in the 2 years I've been running them I've been flashed 2, maybe 3 times while cresting a hill.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
10,256 Posts

Still wouldn't switch on a Pilot, though. Happy with halogen.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You're not happy with the bulbs or the actual headlight assembly? I suspect you've got badly oxidized plastic

Get a headlight restore kit - Hondas, especially those from the late 1990s through the late 2000s, have some of the easiest plastic to restore I've ever had to polish. When I lived in the Caribbean there was no way to deal with the intense UV light, but I could bring the headlight back to near factory finish after 20 minutes with the Meguiars headlight kit. It was something I did once every 3-4 months, simple and effective.

Just saying, you might be pleasantly surprised at how bright the headlights are when the plastic is clear...

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
37 Posts
I would agree with the consensus here that it is difficult to find an LED bulb that will work correct with the Pilot housings. In my 2004, the only stock option at the time was halogen, not even HIDs.

In the end, I replace my housings with blacked out versions, upgrade to Silvania Super somethings and added addition lighting in the form of true fog lights (Hella) mounted to a bull bar. The lighting is great and I never feel light I’m over driving the reach of my lights. Plus I‘m really happy with the more aggressive look.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Nice, but what happened to the AVS Buglector II hood deflector? In one pic it's there, then in the other poof! -- it's gone.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
37 Posts
Nice, but what happened to the AVS Buglector II hood deflector? In one pic it's there, then in the other poof! -- it's gone.
Sorry, posted the photos in the wrong order. The bottom photo is about a month older than the top photo. It’s installed and not going anywhere, I really love the look!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would agree with the consensus here that it is difficult to find an LED bulb that will work correct with the Pilot housings. In my 2004, the only stock option at the time was halogen, not even HIDs.

In the end, I replace my housings with blacked out versions, upgrade to Silvania Super somethings and added addition lighting in the form of true fog lights (Hella) mounted to a bull bar. The lighting is great and I never feel light I’m over driving the reach of my lights. Plus I‘m really happy with the more aggressive look.

View attachment 138252

View attachment 138253
Could you send me a link to which blackout housing you used. And which bullbar and top rack you got? I love the look you have and I just got an 08 last week.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
37 Posts
Could you send me a link to which blackout housing you used. And which bullbar and top rack you got? I love the look you have and I just got an 08 last week.
here are the headlights I got, not the same retailer but the same housings:

Here is the bull bar:
Amazon.com: TAC Bull Bar Fit 2006-2014 Honda Ridgeline Pickup Truck / 2003-2008 Honda Pilot SUV 3” Black Front Bumper Grille Guard Brush Guard: Automotive

Here is the Rola roof rack:

Here is the extension for the roof rack: Amazon.com: Rola 59505 Vortex 18-3/4" Roof Mounted Cargo Basket Extension: Automotive

·
Registered
37 Posts
Avoid LEDs, for the most part you're just going to scatter a ton of light, have a terrible beam pattern, and blind everyone.

I swapped my fogged housings for those blacked out housings, ran upgraded wiring with a relay, ceramic bulb holders, and Hella 80/100W bulbs. Big difference in light output from a halogen but still have a good beam pattern that isn't blinding everyone. Sure they're not HIDs or true LED headlights brightness, but it's imho the easiest real upgrade. Retrofitting projectors would be the next best upgrade, but requires a lot more work.

Also running Hella 500 Valuefit driving lights on my brushguard as essentially upgraded high beams when I really need the extra light.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts